all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix installation - Cannot connect to wifi or Ethernet
@ 2017-06-30 19:57 Muto
From: Muto @ 2017-06-30 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm trying to install Guix.
"ifconfig" doesn't detect my wlp5s0 device.
I tried connecting to a modem via Ethernet, it detects the modem but I cannot connect to the internet:
"2 DHCPOFFERS received. No working leases in persistent database - sleeping."
Also the "ping -c 3 gnu.org" test still gives "host not found"

I have been trying all day, I am very thankful for anyone who can provide some information.

--Thank you for your time, sorry for wasting it. -Muto
https://functional.cafe/@MutoShack

* Re: Guix installation - Cannot connect to wifi or Ethernet
@ 2017-07-01  2:12 ` Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2017-07-01  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muto; +Cc: help-guix

Muto <muto.lachen@tutanota.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install Guix.
> "ifconfig" doesn't detect my wlp5s0 device.

Your wifi-card may need a proprietary driver which GuixSD doesn't
include (because Guix only has official packages for free/libre software
because Guix doesn't want to encourage you to use restrictive, perhaps
harmful, proprietary software). (That's why I personally use a
wifi-dongle based on the chipset AR9271 which can be used with the
free ath9k_htc driver.)

> I tried connecting to a modem via Ethernet, it detects the modem but I cannot connect to the internet:
> "2 DHCPOFFERS received. No working leases in persistent database - sleeping."

Which command leads to this error? Is it something like `dhclient -v
INTERFACE`? I never heard of this error before. I guess we need more
information to help you here. Maybe you could also tell us the details
of your ethernet controller?

* Re: Guix installation - Cannot connect to wifi or Ethernet
@ 2017-07-01 14:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-07-01 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mekeor Melire; +Cc: Muto, help-guix

Mekeor Melire <mekeor.melire@gmail.com> skribis:

> Muto <muto.lachen@tutanota.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to install Guix.
>> "ifconfig" doesn't detect my wlp5s0 device.
>
> Your wifi-card may need a proprietary driver which GuixSD doesn't
> include (because Guix only has official packages for free/libre software
> because Guix doesn't want to encourage you to use restrictive, perhaps
> harmful, proprietary software). (That's why I personally use a
> wifi-dongle based on the chipset AR9271 which can be used with the
> free ath9k_htc driver.)

On this topic, Muto, please take a look at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html>.

Can you send us the output of the ‘lspci’ command?

Thanks,
Ludo’.