all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#72889: Support for root filesystem on btrfs raid1 on two LUKS devices
@ 2024-08-30  7:07 amano.kenji via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: amano.kenji via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-08-30  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 72889

Imagine that root filesystem is btrfs raid1 on two LUKS devices.

To mount it on initial ram disk, guix has to first unlock two LUKS devices with one password.

* bug#72889: A new insight
@ 2024-09-05  1:56 ` amano.kenji via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: amano.kenji via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-09-05  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 72889@debbugs.gnu.org

I guess this is going to require passphrase reuse for mapped devices.

* bug#72889: I thought of a possible way to do this.
@ 2024-09-10 13:14 ` amano.kenji via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: amano.kenji via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-09-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 72889@debbugs.gnu.org

- /dev/sda

/dev/sda1: A tiny LUKS partition that's filled with the content of a keyfile without any filesystem format.
/dev/sda2: /boot for grub. It also serves as FAT32 EFI partition.

- /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb1: /gnu/store on btrfs raid1
/dev/sdb2: / on btrfs raid1 on LUKS

- /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc1: /gnu/store on btrfs raid1
/dev/sdc2: / on btrfs raid1 on LUKS

Open /dev/sda1 as a luke device, /dev/mapper/key, with one password. It contains a keyfile without any filesystem format. Use /dev/mapper/key as a keyfile for all other LUKS devices in mapped devices.

This exposes /gnu/store, but /gnu/store is not supposed to have any sensitive data. This obviously makes it practically impossible to detect physical tempering of data, but if you store it at a secure location, you don't have to worry too much about evil maid attack.

RAID1 for physically secure servers is enough to ensure some availability when a disk fails.

For laptops that you carry, you are not going to use btrfs raid1, and you can just have unencrypted /boot on fat32 and / on btrfs on luks. extra-initrd contains a keyfile for / so that I don't have to type the password twice.

A desktop computer doesn't require server-level availability, but people who have money can still put root on encrypted btrfs raid1.

Perhaps, can this be documented in the cook book?