all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: DieRosedesNordens <DieRosedesNordens@protonmail.com>
To: Edouard Klein <edou@rdklein.fr>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Request for assistance in three subjects: Iptables, LightDM and Whiskermenu.
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 20:21:00 +0000	[thread overview]

Most Honorable Sir and Esteemed Recipients,

Be ye well apprised that I hath forwarded unto thee this entreaty swayed, precisely, by the intent of sparing further woe to those who, in quest of succour, perchance didst peruse my inaugural epistle. As thy lordship hath alluded, nevertheless, evincing the characteristic erudition of thy noble selves, there existeth a disparate manner of proceeding. Verily, let it be thus.

A priori, inasmuch as the Iptables are concerned, the instructions whereby the rules of network ingress and egress, therewith configured, may be rendered persistent, are to be found at this link: "https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Networking-Services.html". Thou shalt insert the rules of thy preference into the list of services in the system's configuration file, reconfiguring it thereafter. I didst dispatch unto thee the inaugural epistle, for the instruction didst not take effect in a first attempt, when I listed the service provided by Iptables beneath all others, in the lowest extremity of the list. I am ignorant whether I committed any error, or whether, for a reason equally unknown, the service provided by Iptables cannot be the last in the list. Nevertheless, a simple transposition of position didst remedy the problem thus evidenced.

Secondly, the supposed resolution was singularly applicable to myself, for upon further analysis, I concluded that the GDM is a superior display manager to the LightDM, conclusion that rendered any assistance superfluous, and opted to retain it prior to conducting any research regarding the method of supplanting it. I previously termed it a resolution, but now I perceive, 'twas not one.

Lastly, with regard to the problem pertaining to the substitution of menus, this hath been, in fact, resolved. In order that the Whiskermenu may be utilized, thou shalt list it in the system's configuration file, in the section pertaining to packages, reconfiguring the system thereafter. Something akin to this, presumably: (packages (append (list xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin). Take heed of the fact that the parentheses preceding "append" and "packages" shall only be closed after "%base-packages", and that all packages installed in this manner shall be listed within the same parenthesis, within the same parenthesis of "list". Thus, something like this: (list [package name] [package name] [package name]...).

I believe that this epistle now possesseth a certain relevance and edification, albeit a modest one. As previously evidenced, however, a problem remaineth unsolved, and thus, I deem that there existeth an additional motivation for thee to retain these messages in thy archives, so thy lordships may assist, if thou deemest it inexcusable, the poor supplicants who seek aid in the matter of the LightDM.

Cordially,
Me.