On 2023-12-26 at 17:50+01:00, Ricardo Wurmus wrote: > Nguyễn Gia Phong writes: > > On 2023-12-26 at 15:56+01:00, Ricardo Wurmus wrote: > >> On 2023-12-26 at 14:53+01:00, Sergey Trofimov wrote: > >> > - adding it to guix increases maintenance burden: new versions > >> > could add or remove config options > >> > >> This is why there should be automated tests. > >> There are too few of them. > > > > This is easier said than done. A program could […] > > Yes, it’s easy to say a lot of things. This is not an argument against > providing tests *where feasible*. I'm not against tests, but pointing out that relying on automated tests to detect breakage is an unrealisitic expectation for most programs. On 2023-12-26 at 17:50+01:00, Ricardo Wurmus wrote: > > I would also want to share my experience as a user, that having > > to run guix home reconfigure iteratively is not exactly pleasant > > due to the high delay. > > What’s a high delay? Is a one second reconfiguration too long for what > it does? I don’t think so. Any reconfig that isn't cached takes over 5s on my fairly modern amd64 laptop, which is considerable for the repetitive edit-config-then-test flow. Even a cached home takes a whole 2s. Reconfiguration just rebuild each config file in guix store regardless if it's changed, so running it is a wasite of time and resources.