On Tue Dec 6, 2022 at 10:01 AM GMT, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > The implementation based on manifests can of course miss packages, so > it’s a tradeoff. Purely local indexing will only find packages you > already have anyway, so eventually we’ll need a second mode that would > download a database. Someone on IRC suggested that we use GraphQL to allow us to request that a substitute server search for files in a database constructed using all the packages that have been built. I suggest something like this: # on the client when [built a package derivation] [add files to local database] when [user ran guix find] if [send find request to substitute server] didn't work [search through local database] [display result] # on the substitute server when [built a package definition] [add files to local database] when [user sent find request] [search through local database] [reply with result] -- (