all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Issue with my version of guix
@ 2019-02-08 15:25 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-08 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi Guix!

i have an issue with my guix version. It seems to have not been
upgraded to guix 0.16.0, even I have the new commands.

This is the output of my guix --version, which shows a commit.
guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 9d58e8819fdbc4c1c8a1ef6149e2d2376731a6a6
Copyright (C) 2019 the Guix authors

And both for installing stuff with guix package or even guix pulling,
I need to add the subsitute option for using https://ci.guix.info
Otherwhise it uses the mirror from hydra.

Do you know what I am missing here?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Issue with my version of guix
@ 2019-02-08 16:08 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2019-02-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 12:25:41 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the output of my guix --version, which shows a commit.
> guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) 9d58e8819fdbc4c1c8a1ef6149e2d2376731a6a6
> Copyright (C) 2019 the Guix authors

This commit seems to be very recent, so not sure what you mean.
(it's from Feb 8 2019)

> And both for installing stuff with guix package or even guix pulling,
> I need to add the subsitute option for using https://ci.guix.info
> Otherwhise it uses the mirror from hydra.

That's weird...

Is your guix-daemon also recent?

Try:

  /proc/$(pidof -s guix-daemon)/exe -V

in order to find out its version.  What does it say?

Does your system configuration in /etc/config.scm specify custom
substitute-urls ?

* Re: Issue with my version of guix
@ 2019-02-08 19:22   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-08 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Danny :)
> This commit seems to be very recent, so not sure what you mean.
> (it's from Feb 8 2019)
Yes, I guix pulled today.

> > And both for installing stuff with guix package or even guix pulling,
> > I need to add the subsitute option for using https://ci.guix.info
> > Otherwhise it uses the mirror from hydra.
>
> That's weird...
Yes, it is quite strange

> Is your guix-daemon also recent?
>
> Try:
>
>   /proc/$(pidof -s guix-daemon)/exe -V
>
> in order to find out its version.  What does it say?
Weirdest, look at this:
guix-daemon (GNU Guix) 0.16.0-3.6ddc63e
root@ada:~# /proc/$(pidof -s guix-daemon)/exe -V
guix-daemon (GNU Guix) 0.15.0-8.71a78ba

> Does your system configuration in /etc/config.scm specify custom
> substitute-urls ?
I don't have that file? should I?

@ 2019-02-10 18:53     ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2019-02-10 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, ludo; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 16:22:08 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Weirdest, look at this:
> guix-daemon (GNU Guix) 0.16.0-3.6ddc63e
> root@ada:~# /proc/$(pidof -s guix-daemon)/exe -V
> guix-daemon (GNU Guix) 0.15.0-8.71a78ba

Yeah, I think Guix on GuixSD uses the guix-daemon from the package "guix",
which is always a little behind (it has to be updated by guix like any
other package).

Personally, I'd prefer if it was in an extra package "guix-daemon"--that
would be a lot less confusing.  I've checked and "guix-daemon" package
seems to exist.  Huh?  Maybe it's already like that?  Ludo?

> > Does your system configuration in /etc/config.scm specify custom
> > substitute-urls ?
> I don't have that file? should I?

Hmm, I think the name is freely chooseable.  I meant your version of
desktop.scm where you have your operating-system configuration - it
can also contain a list of substitute servers to try.

* Re: Issue with my version of guix
@ 2019-02-10 20:32 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-02-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello, Laura!
To update guix use this line under every user you need:

$ guix pull && guix package -u

by root the same:
# guix pull && guix package -u

Then `guix describe` or `guix --version` will show the commit you have.

But I really do not know how to look human readable version like 0.15 or 0.16 ??

Also if you need to upgrade guix-daemon (but this does not matter,
Ricardo Wurmus said here https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-01/msg00000.html <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-01/msg00000.html> )
you can use by root:

# guix system reconfigure /path/to/your/config.scm

If you do not use config.scm you will not be able to configure your system (something like  changing network settings or display manager settings (autologin for example)). You can copy it from example here https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Using-the-Configuration-System <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Using-the-Configuration-System>  . People say there are a lot of examples in the web. But there is no any link in manual, and I did not find in guix.cgit.

If you want to try different substitution servers use command to authorize new server you use first time and option --substitute-urls
You also can read manual 'Substitutes' section: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Substitutes <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Substitutes>

Hope, it helps.

Feb 8, 2019, 3:25 PM by laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com:

@ 2019-02-11 11:13   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-11 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Danny and znavko :)

Thank you very much for your help :)
 I should have mentioned that I am running it on a foreign distro.
Yesterday on IRC the folks helped me and I just needed to modifiy
guix-daemon.service, reload it, and restart it.

The only awkward thing is that difference between guix-daemon versions.

Regards :)
Laura