Hi ! > So it should probably pick the current (not the newest) bootloader type. I'm not fan of installing every bootloader config because it means multiple gcroots and filling /boot with possibly useless stuff. However, reading the "parameters" of current system, extracting bootloader type, and reinstalling *only* the bootloader configuration file for this type seems a good idea to me. I'll use this solution for v4. Plus we can come up later with a more intelligent solution, storing bootloader store path in "parameters" and creating a gcroot for it. Thanks, Mathieu 2017-05-12 13:36 GMT+02:00 Ludovic Courtès : > Hi, > > Danny Milosavljevic skribis: > > > On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:26:53 +0200 > > ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote: > > > >> > If there is a switch between extlinux and grub, the bootloader config > file format (and name, too) will change. > >> > > >> > So if you do switch the config file out but don't switch the actual > bootloader out it will not boot, right? > >> > >> Unless you regenerate the bootloader’s config file upon > >> ‘switch-configuration’. > > > > Yes, for the last-guix-installed bootloader (presumably the > still-installed one). Good point. > > > > That would mean only the bootloader type of the newest system generation > would be checked - also when restoring older generations. > > > > Can the newest system generation be deleted? Then eventually Guix could > read the wrong bootloader type (of a bootloader which isn't actually > installed at the time). > > The newest generation can be deleted, but the current one cannot (it’s > possible that the current one is not the newest if you picked an old > entry in the boot menu.) > > So it should probably pick the current (not the newest) bootloader type. > > Ludo’. >