all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Sergey Bugaev <bugaevc@gmail.com>
To: Almudena Garcia <liberamenso10000@gmail.com>
Cc: bug-hurd <bug-hurd@gnu.org>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org,  Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
Subject: Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 15:55:46 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 3:18 PM Almudena Garcia
<liberamenso10000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Other idea could be a magnet/torrent translator
>
> wget magnet:?fl=http://...
>
> and downloading the torrent file without a torrent client

bittorrentfs would be cool indeed, and it's something that I wanted to
write for a long time actually. It'd accept either magnet links as you
suggest, or a .torrent file (possibly itself located on an httpfs
mount...). But: that'd be a large project, and definitely not
something I would write over an hour on a livestream. Also that'd be
netfs, not trivfs, since a BitTorrent share can contain a file tree,
much like an archive.

We're going to do something much more simple that could serve as an
introduction to trivfs and Hurd server programming in general.
Specifically, I'm thinking we'd make a translator that takes an
existing file and wraps reads/writes with Caesar's cipher / ROT13.
That's something that Josh has mentioned he wanted to write in the
past [0]; and also recently he recorded himself having a hard time
trying to understand how to make a trivfs-based translator [1], so I
thought it would make sense to help him (and anyone else who'd be
interested) understand that.

[0]: https://marc.info/?l=hurd-bug&m=162142791926428&w=2
[1]: https://video.hardlimit.com/w/cd6bf857-5d54-47a3-9112-9ab786b13bac

Sergey