all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What's the current state of HURD on Guix?
@ 2014-09-11  4:40 Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-11  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

There was a HURD port of Guix that was "promised", and it's been like 6
months since the announcement, so I was wondering how far is it right now?

* Re: What's the current state of HURD on Guix?
@ 2014-09-11  5:37 ` Manolis Ragkousis
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2014-09-11  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toxemicsquire4; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Omar

I am the one working on that port. We are getting there, just more
slowly cause I am working on some university projects.

We had some issues with glibc/hurd which refused to build (the
upstream version could not be built, whether the debian could) but
thankfully with solved that, with lot's of help from the Hurd guys.

Currently Ludovic uploaded the glibc/hurd related patches on the
wip-hurd branch. Some small things need to be fixed and then it will
be merged with master. I will send the related patch probably this
week.
Packages already part of guix: gnumach headers, mig, hurd headers.

We are getting there :-)

Thank you for your interest and I hope I answered your question.
Manolis

* Re: What's the current state of HURD on Guix?
@ 2014-09-11 13:04   ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-11 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manolis Ragkousis, guix-devel

Will it be usable by Guix stable?

@ 2014-09-11 14:17     ` Manolis Ragkousis
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2014-09-11 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Glibc/hurd will be usable, first, for packaging and building the rest
of the components needed for a Hurd system and second for actually
start using it on such a system.  So unless it introduces any problems
that break guix, I don't see a reason not having it on stable.

Manolis

* Re: What's the current state of HURD on Guix?
@ 2014-09-11 14:19     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-11 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

> Will it be usable by Guix stable?

Eventually, yes.

But as you can see, this is work in progress, and there are still lots
to be done.  So it may be more than 6 months or a year before there’s a
Guix-based GNU/Hurd you can boot into.

However, the good news is: you can help!  :-)  Help is very much welcome
in this area, either on the packaging/Guix side, or on the Hurd and libc
side, or in Guix’s stand-alone operating system support.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: What's the current state of HURD on Guix?
@ 2014-09-11 14:36       ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel