all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [bug#73169] wifi driver problem
@ 2024-09-10 14:31 Fadi Al-Arja
From: Fadi Al-Arja @ 2024-09-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 73169

Dear Guix developers,

I hope you are doing well.

I am trying to install Guix on my Intel-based laptop, but I am running into
problems, especially with proprietary network driver support. Despite
several attempts, Guix is not correctly detecting my wireless card, which
results in me being unable to establish a network connection. The error
messages and problems can be seen in the attached photo.

Knowing that Guix emphasizes free software, I am wondering if there is a
way to still integrate these network drivers into the system or if I may
need to develop my own driver to resolve the issue. Are there any
alternative approaches or specific documentation that could help me with
this issue?

I appreciate any kind of support and thank you in advance for your time and
help.

Best regards,
Fadi Al-Arja

[-- Attachment #2: 20240910_081934.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 4185274 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 20240910_162308.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 5287414 bytes --]

* bug#73169: wifi driver problem
@ 2024-09-11 12:31 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2024-09-11 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fadi Al-Arja; +Cc: 73169

Hello Fadi.  On Guix System, wi-fi is a tough issue.  Partial solutions
are to either use cable instead of Wi-fi [1], to use a free Wi-fi
adapter (not compatible with new Wi-fi standards), or, with obvious
downsides, to use a non-free distribution of Guix or Linux (perhaps with
only Guix Home instead of the full Guix System).

Since this is a bug report, I wonder, do you think we can better inform
users?  (There already is the message you photographed, but perhaps
point out to use an adapter.)

Fadi Al-Arja <alarja120@gmail.com> writes:
> Knowing that Guix emphasizes free software, I am wondering if there is a way to still integrate these network drivers into the system or if I may
> need to develop my own driver to resolve the issue. Are there any alternative approaches or specific documentation that could help me with
> this issue?

Not knowing low-level, electronics development, I believe the hindrance
to modern libre Wi-fi is not patents but lack of man-power for a
libre-friendly supply chain.

Regards,
Florian

[1]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/de/html_node/Hardware_002dUberlegungen.html

* bug#73169: wifi driver problem
@ 2024-09-13 14:10 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-09-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fadi Al-Arja; +Cc: 73169-done

Hi Fadi,

Fadi Al-Arja <alarja120@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Guix developers,
>
> I hope you are doing well.
>
> I am trying to install Guix on my Intel-based laptop, but I am running into
> problems, especially with proprietary network driver support. Despite
> several attempts, Guix is not correctly detecting my wireless card, which
> results in me being unable to establish a network connection. The error
> messages and problems can be seen in the attached photo.
>
> Knowing that Guix emphasizes free software, I am wondering if there is a
> way to still integrate these network drivers into the system or if I may
> need to develop my own driver to resolve the issue. Are there any
> alternative approaches or specific documentation that could help me with
> this issue?

Developing free firmware would be a way, but it's probably not too easy.

> I appreciate any kind of support and thank you in advance for your time and
> help.

If you need your wifi working in a short time, the best option may be to
buy an USB wifi adapter compatible with free software such as those sold
by ThinkPenguin, or other RYF (Respect Your Freedom) certified devices.

Falling that, if you make this choice, you could also use Guix System
using another kernel than linux-libre; this falls outside of the support
scope of GNU Guix and you'll have too seek support somewhere else if
this is what you would like to pursue.

Maxim