all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Third party guix repositories could be used for housing guile modules and other things.
@ 2015-06-22 16:27 crocket
From: crocket @ 2015-06-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Guile hasn't had an official repository. That's why guile hasn't
accumulated thousands of modules.
Since the official gnu guix repository is mainly for GuixSD, it makes
sense to make another guix repository for guile modules to be used on
multiple linux distributions. I'm not sure if guix works on windows
and Mac OS, too.

If you made it possible to add third party guix repository URLs,
people would add third party repositories later without upfront
coordination with guix developers.

* Re: Third party guix repositories could be used for housing guile modules and other things.
@ 2015-06-23 12:57 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-06-23 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crocket; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

You seem to be confusing Guile and Guix.

Guix only works on GNU/Linux, and GuixSD is only a GNU/Linux
distribution now.  See <http://gnu.org/s/guix>.

Guix users can have their own package repository.  The various tools
will be able to use them as long as the ‘GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH’ environment
variable is defined:
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Package-Modules.html#index-GUIX_005fPACKAGE_005fPATH>.

Ludo’.

* Re: Third party guix repositories could be used for housing guile modules and other things.
@ 2015-06-24 18:19 Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-06-24 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crocket; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

On 2015-06-22 18:27, crocket wrote:
> Guile hasn't had an official repository. That's why guile hasn't
> accumulated thousands of modules.
> Since the official gnu guix repository is mainly for GuixSD, it makes
> sense to make another guix repository for guile modules to be used on
> multiple linux distributions. I'm not sure if guix works on windows
> and Mac OS, too.
>
> If you made it possible to add third party guix repository URLs,
> people would add third party repositories later without upfront
> coordination with guix developers.

To be honest I could be interested to have another repository with guix
recipes where it's easier to contribute and/or dedicated to guile.

But this will still be only available only to GNU/Linux users.

Also, I'd better stay focus on guix. There is guildhall for guile, take
it as the official Guile package manager if you

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr