all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reproducibility
@ 2016-01-09 10:53 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I've noticed that a derivation is a function of the order of the
inputs. As an example, the following two input orders give rise to two
distinct derivations:

A)

    (inputs
     `(("texlive" ,texlive)
       ("texinfo" ,texinfo)
       ("m4" ,m4)
       ("libx11" ,libx11))

B)
    (inputs
     `(("texinfo" ,texinfo)
       ("texlive" ,texlive)
       ("m4" ,m4)
       ("libx11" ,libx11))

Is this intentional?

Regards,
Fede

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-10 20:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-10 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> I've noticed that a derivation is a function of the order of the
> inputs. As an example, the following two input orders give rise to two
> distinct derivations:
>
> A)
>
>     (inputs
>      `(("texlive" ,texlive)
>        ("texinfo" ,texinfo)
>        ("m4" ,m4)
>        ("libx11" ,libx11))
>
> B)
>     (inputs
>      `(("texinfo" ,texinfo)
>        ("texlive" ,texlive)
>        ("m4" ,m4)
>        ("libx11" ,libx11))
>
> Is this intentional?

Yes.  There are several places where order matters, most importantly
search paths, and these are computed from the input lists.

Ludo’.

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-12 20:11   ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:
>
>> I've noticed that a derivation is a function of the order of the
>> inputs. As an example, the following two input orders give rise to two
>> distinct derivations:
>>
>> A)
>>
>>     (inputs
>>      `(("texlive" ,texlive)
>>        ("texinfo" ,texinfo)
>>        ("m4" ,m4)
>>        ("libx11" ,libx11))
>>
>> B)
>>     (inputs
>>      `(("texinfo" ,texinfo)
>>        ("texlive" ,texlive)
>>        ("m4" ,m4)
>>        ("libx11" ,libx11))
>>
>> Is this intentional?
>
> Yes.  There are several places where order matters, most importantly
> search paths, and these are computed from the input lists.

If order matters, it would probably be more robust to force internally
a specific order rather than relying on the (often random) order
defined in a package recipe (possibly created by an importer, ...).

Fede

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-12 21:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-12 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:
>>
>>> I've noticed that a derivation is a function of the order of the
>>> inputs. As an example, the following two input orders give rise to two
>>> distinct derivations:
>>>
>>> A)
>>>
>>>     (inputs
>>>      `(("texlive" ,texlive)
>>>        ("texinfo" ,texinfo)
>>>        ("m4" ,m4)
>>>        ("libx11" ,libx11))
>>>
>>> B)
>>>     (inputs
>>>      `(("texinfo" ,texinfo)
>>>        ("texlive" ,texlive)
>>>        ("m4" ,m4)
>>>        ("libx11" ,libx11))
>>>
>>> Is this intentional?
>>
>> Yes.  There are several places where order matters, most importantly
>> search paths, and these are computed from the input lists.
>
> If order matters, it would probably be more robust to force internally
> a specific order rather than relying on the (often random) order
> defined in a package recipe (possibly created by an importer, ...).

Most of the time any order would work, but I can imagine situations
where the packager could purposefully choose a specific order.  So I’d
rather not do any automatic sorting, if that’s what you have in mind.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-13  8:13       ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-13  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

>>> Yes.  There are several places where order matters, most importantly
>>> search paths, and these are computed from the input lists.
>>
>> If order matters, it would probably be more robust to force internally
>> a specific order rather than relying on the (often random) order
>> defined in a package recipe (possibly created by an importer, ...).
>
> Most of the time any order would work, but I can imagine situations
> where the packager could purposefully choose a specific order.  So I’d
> rather not do any automatic sorting, if that’s what you have in mind.

Just out of curiosity, could you provide a concrete example where the
order is purposefully specified.

Thanks,
Fede

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-13  9:15         ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-01-13  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:13:25 +0100
Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>
> Just out of curiosity, could you provide a concrete example where the
> order is purposefully specified.
>
> Thanks,
> Fede

I haven't had time (since reading this) to test if the order matters or not,
but some of the openstack packages say they care about order:
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-keystoneclient/tree/test-requirements.txt?h=2.0.0

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-13 13:56         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-13 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

>>> If order matters, it would probably be more robust to force internally
>>> a specific order rather than relying on the (often random) order
>>> defined in a package recipe (possibly created by an importer, ...).
>>
>> Most of the time any order would work, but I can imagine situations
>> where the packager could purposefully choose a specific order.  So I’d
>> rather not do any automatic sorting, if that’s what you have in mind.
>
> Just out of curiosity, could you provide a concrete example where the
> order is purposefully specified.

No specific example, sorry, but it’s plausible IMO.  With enough CPU
power, we could try rebuilding everything with a random order and see
what breaks.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-13 19:51           ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-13 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:13:25 +0100
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, could you provide a concrete example where the
>> order is purposefully specified.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fede
>>

> I haven't had time (since reading this) to test if the order matters or not,
> but some of the openstack packages say they care about order:
> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-keystoneclient/tree/test-requirements.txt?h=2.0.0

Reading the comment sounds like its because pip installs packages
sequentially. Sounds like a different approach from what we are doing.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer.
Regards,
Fede

* Re: reproducibility
@ 2016-01-13 19:53           ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

>>> Most of the time any order would work, but I can imagine situations
>>> where the packager could purposefully choose a specific order.  So I’d
>>> rather not do any automatic sorting, if that’s what you have in mind.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, could you provide a concrete example where the
>> order is purposefully specified.
>
> No specific example, sorry, but it’s plausible IMO.  With enough CPU
> power, we could try rebuilding everything with a random order and see
> what breaks.

I guess that's not necessary... I was just trying to learn something.

Thanks,
Fede