all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* a bit curiousity
@ 2015-12-22 10:48 Dika Setya Prayogi
From: Dika Setya Prayogi @ 2015-12-22 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

can I :

1.install two or multiple package with different version in single profile

2.set auto garbage collect for package old than one month

3.set garbage collet for package that have more than three version

in guix ?

* Re: a bit curiousity
@ 2015-12-22 15:24 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-12-22 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dika Setya Prayogi; +Cc: guix-devel

Dika Setya Prayogi <dikasetyaprayogi@gmail.com> writes:

> 1.install two or multiple package with different version in single profile

You can ask Guix to install different versions of the same package (if
available) into a single profile, but when creating the new profile
generation Guix would resolve conflicts and you’d end up with just one
(possibly broken) version.  This is unavoidable when packages provide
files with identical (and thus conflicting) paths.

To install multiple versions simply use different profiles.  Any user
can have a virtually unlimited number of profiles.

> 2.set auto garbage collect for package old than one month

Garbage collection is not about age but about references.  If a package
is referenced in a profile (even if it’s not the latest generation of
the profile) it won’t be collected.  This is a feature.

To achieve garbage collection of old packages you would have to remove
all old profile generations (so that older packages are no longer
referenced), and also make sure that no “old” packages are referenced in
the current profile generation.  This essentially requires a forced
upgrade with deletion of older profile generations, which seems quite
unwise.  You’d throw away some of the best features of Guix, in my
opinion.

> 3.set garbage collet for package that have more than three version

I don’t know what this means.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: a bit curiousity
@ 2015-12-22 15:44   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2015-12-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Dika Setya Prayogi

On Tue 22 Dec 2015 16:24, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:

> Dika Setya Prayogi <dikasetyaprayogi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 1.install two or multiple package with different version in single profile
>
> You can ask Guix to install different versions of the same package (if
> available) into a single profile, but when creating the new profile
> generation Guix would resolve conflicts and you’d end up with just one
> (possibly broken) version.  This is unavoidable when packages provide
> files with identical (and thus conflicting) paths.

Food for thought: Guix could automatically create e.g. hello-0.4 and
hello-0.5 symlinks in a profile.  Or guile-2.0 and guile-2.2.  The
resolution of the "guile" link itself could remain random, or it could
default to the latest version, picking randomly at ties, or other
policies.  At least for executables this could be a nice feature.

Andy

* Re: a bit curiousity
@ 2015-12-22 16:54   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Dika Setya Prayogi

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Dika Setya Prayogi <dikasetyaprayogi@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> 2.set auto garbage collect for package old than one month
>
> Garbage collection is not about age but about references.  If a package
> is referenced in a profile (even if it’s not the latest generation of
> the profile) it won’t be collected.  This is a feature.
>
> To achieve garbage collection of old packages you would have to remove
> all old profile generations (so that older packages are no longer
> referenced), and also make sure that no “old” packages are referenced in
> the current profile generation.  This essentially requires a forced
> upgrade with deletion of older profile generations, which seems quite
> unwise.  You’d throw away some of the best features of Guix, in my
> opinion.

One could have a periodic job that runs:

  guix package --delete-generations=1m && guix gc

This removes generations older than 1 month and then runs the GC.

Depending on your use case, this may or may not be a good idea.  I
personally prefer to remove generations once I know I’m very unlikely to
ever need to roll back to them.

Ludo’.

* Re: a bit curiousity
@ 2015-12-23  7:56     ` Dika Setya Prayogi
From: Dika Setya Prayogi @ 2015-12-23  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

many thanks for the info :-)

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> Dika Setya Prayogi <dikasetyaprayogi@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> 2.set auto garbage collect for package old than one month
>>
>> Garbage collection is not about age but about references.  If a package
>> is referenced in a profile (even if it’s not the latest generation of
>> the profile) it won’t be collected.  This is a feature.
>>
>> To achieve garbage collection of old packages you would have to remove
>> all old profile generations (so that older packages are no longer
>> referenced), and also make sure that no “old” packages are referenced in
>> the current profile generation.  This essentially requires a forced
>> upgrade with deletion of older profile generations, which seems quite
>> unwise.  You’d throw away some of the best features of Guix, in my
>> opinion.
>
> One could have a periodic job that runs:
>
>   guix package --delete-generations=1m && guix gc
>
> This removes generations older than 1 month and then runs the GC.
>
> Depending on your use case, this may or may not be a good idea.  I
> personally prefer to remove generations once I know I’m very unlikely to
> ever need to roll back to them.
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: a bit curiousity
@ 2015-12-23  7:59     ` Dika Setya Prayogi