all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* web browser freedom issue
@ 2015-12-26 13:07 Dika Setya Prayogi
From: Dika Setya Prayogi @ 2015-12-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I saw the default GuixSD web browser the ''web'' in xfce include an
non privacy oriented search engine. is that a restriction of freedom ?

 Type: freedom issue Subject: Includes non-freedom respecting search engines
Even though DuckDuckGo is the default, it still includes Google and
Yahoo search engines.

-from parabola developers-

 https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2013-01/msg00000.html

* Re: web browser freedom issue
@ 2015-12-26 13:18 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-12-26 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dika Setya Prayogi; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Dika Setya Prayogi
<dikasetyaprayogi@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw the default GuixSD web browser the ''web'' in xfce include an
> non privacy oriented search engine. is that a restriction of freedom ?

GuixSD has no default web browser, because OS configs are completely
up to users to create.  Are you talking about GNU IceCat?  I don't see
a software freedom issue here, but it would be best to to send this
feedback directly to the GNU IceCat developers so that they can use
their knowledge of the domain to make an informed decision about this.

Thanks,

- Dave