all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
@ 2014-09-11 12:40 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-11 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello!

Last year we had an “on-line hackathon” to celebrate GNU’s 30th
birthday¹.  While discussing on IRC, it seemed a good idea to similarly
celebrate GNU’s 31st birthday, on the 27th and 28th of September.

Tasks would include helping newcomers, packaging (see
<http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist>), improving the
operating system notably by adding new service definitions, hacking dmd,
fixing bugs, etc.

This should be accessible to anyone with experience with GNU/Linux
packages.  People with experience in Guile Scheme would find additional
things to work on, such as ‘guix import’ to import package definitions
From other systems (PyPi, configure.ac, etc.), making ‘guix refresh’
work for non-GNU packages, etc.

How does that sound?  Perhaps we should setup a wiki page on
libreplanet.org to collect ideas and a list of interested people?

Ludo’.

PS: The few of us living in Bordeaux may gather together somewhere.

¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-09/msg00206.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
@ 2014-09-11 14:30 ` Manolis Ragkousis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2014-09-11 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

2 days working all day on the hurd port of Guix. Count me in.

* Re: On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
@ 2014-09-11 16:19 ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-11 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

How could a non programmer help?

@ 2014-09-11 16:44 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2014-09-11 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Last year we had an “on-line hackathon” to celebrate GNU’s 30th
> birthday¹.  While discussing on IRC, it seemed a good idea to similarly
> celebrate GNU’s 31st birthday, on the 27th and 28th of September.

I should be able to participate.  I will be in and out doing other
things, but I'd love to have a patch or two or three written during
this time.

> Tasks would include helping newcomers, packaging (see
> <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist>), improving the
> operating system notably by adding new service definitions, hacking dmd,
> fixing bugs, etc.
>
> This should be accessible to anyone with experience with GNU/Linux
> packages.  People with experience in Guile Scheme would find additional
> things to work on, such as ‘guix import’ to import package definitions
> From other systems (PyPi, configure.ac, etc.), making ‘guix refresh’
> work for non-GNU packages, etc.

I will likely focus on 'guix import pypi' and/or 'guix environment'.

> How does that sound?  Perhaps we should setup a wiki page on
> libreplanet.org to collect ideas and a list of interested people?

Here ya go: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Hackathon-09-2014

- Dave

* Re: On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
@ 2014-09-11 21:16   ` Nikita Karetnikov
From: Nikita Karetnikov @ 2014-09-11 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

> How could a non programmer help?

How would you like to help?  For instance, would you like to learn how
to program?

In any case, the good first step is to install Guix and play around.
Look at the command line tools, read the documentation.  Have a problem?
Ask on the #guix channel on Freenode, document the solution, and send a
patch.  Read on the ‘diff’, ‘patch’, and ‘git format-patch’ commands if
necessary.

Learn how to write package recipes.  There is a good (though a bit
outdated) intro [1].  What programs do you use daily?  Are they
available in the distribution?  Start with something simple, or look for
outdated versions and submit updates.

Are you familiar with graphics editors?  Contribute artwork.

[1] https://gnu.org/software/guix/guix-ghm-andreas-20130823.pdf

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
@ 2014-09-11 21:57     ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-09-11 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Karetnikov, guix-devel

I kinda "know" C. But I don't know how to make applications. Just really
basic things. I'm not a good artist. I don't have hardware that could run
guix at the moment. And I don't know if I could learn enough C or guile by
the September hackathon.

@ 2014-09-12  8:12   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-12  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> Here ya go: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Hackathon-09-2014

Excellent, thanks!

People, please add your name if you want to be listed as a potential
participant, and add your ideas!

Ludo’.

* Re: On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
@ 2014-09-15  7:16     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2014-09-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Great idea. I am game for Ruby and gems.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:12:19AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>
> > Here ya go: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Hackathon-09-2014
>
> Excellent, thanks!
>
> People, please add your name if you want to be listed as a potential
> participant, and add your ideas!
>
> Ludo???.

* Re: On-line hackathon on Sep. 27-28?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-15  9:45 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-09-15  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 02:40:57PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> PS: The few of us living in Bordeaux may gather together somewhere.

I will be free on Saturday and most likely not on Sunday. So we could meet in
my place on Saturday unless a more public location such as a hacker space
(to create some additional publicity for guix) works out.

Andreas