all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-14 22:45 David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2013-10-14 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 15615

`guix build pulseaudio` fails because of the following test:

Running suite(s): Memblock
shm_open() failed: Function not implemented
0%: Checks: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0
tests/memblock-test.c:86:F:memblock:memblock_test:0: Assertion 'pool_a
!= NULL' failed
FAIL: memblock-test

Does this happen for anyone else or just me?

- Dave

* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-16 13:15 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-10-16 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: 15615-done

David Thompson <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> `guix build pulseaudio` fails because of the following test:
>
> Running suite(s): Memblock
> shm_open() failed: Function not implemented

I think you hit the /dev/shm issue described in a footnote (info "(guix)
Setting Up the Daemon").

(Of course, re-open this bug if this is not the case.)

I’m not sure how to better avoid that situation.  Perhaps ‘guix-daemon’
could explicitly check whether /dev/shm is a symlink and emit a warning
if it is?

OTOH this won’t be a problem on the GNU distro where everything will be
correctly setup.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-17  1:22   ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2013-10-17  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 15615-done

On 10/16/2013 09:15 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I think you hit the /dev/shm issue described in a footnote (info "(guix)
> Setting Up the Daemon").
>
> (Of course, re-open this bug if this is not the case.)

That is indeed the case. /dev/shm is a symlink to /run/shm.

> I’m not sure how to better avoid that situation.  Perhaps ‘guix-daemon’
> could explicitly check whether /dev/shm is a symlink and emit a warning
> if it is?
>
> OTOH this won’t be a problem on the GNU distro where everything will be
> correctly setup.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Have other Debian users worked around this issue?

* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-17  2:06     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2013-10-17  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: 15615-done

David Thompson <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> On 10/16/2013 09:15 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I think you hit the /dev/shm issue described in a footnote (info "(guix)
>> Setting Up the Daemon").
>>
>> (Of course, re-open this bug if this is not the case.)
>
> That is indeed the case. /dev/shm is a symlink to /run/shm.

[...]

> Have other Debian users worked around this issue?

I successfully built pulseaudio in Guix within Debian Wheezy x86_64, but
/dev/shm is not a symlink on that box.  I'm not sure why it's different
from yours, maybe because I installed systemd?

      Mark

* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-17 11:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-10-17 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: 15615-done

David Thompson <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> On 10/16/2013 09:15 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I think you hit the /dev/shm issue described in a footnote (info "(guix)
>> Setting Up the Daemon").
>>
>> (Of course, re-open this bug if this is not the case.)
>
> That is indeed the case. /dev/shm is a symlink to /run/shm.

[...]

> Have other Debian users worked around this issue?

I think Andreas hit that problem some time ago, which led to the
footnote.

Ludo’.

* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-17 12:17     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-10-17 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: 15615-done

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 09:22:23PM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
> Have other Debian users worked around this issue?

Well, you can delete the symbolic link, create a directory /dev/shm and
mount a new tmpfs there:
   rm /dev/shm
   mkdir /dev/shm
   mount -t tmpfs -o size=1G tmpfs /dev/shm

I did this once or twice to compile a package the tests of which would
otherwise fail. I do not know what happens if you reboot; each time,
I reverted the changes with
   umount /dev/shm
   rmdir /dev/shm
   ln -s /run/shm /dev/shm

Andreas

* bug#15615: Pulseaudio build fails
@ 2013-10-28 15:19 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2013-10-28 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 15615-done

Thanks, Andreas. Took me awhile to get around to trying it, but it
worked for me.