all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix gc
@ 2017-05-02 18:25 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I run guix gc for the first time since when I installed GuixSD

I remember there was a bug for which pieces that should not be garbage
collected get garbage collected anyway

I suppose I am running into that

My fonts are completely messed up, here are a couple of pictures of my
terminal
https://imgur.com/a/0l89F
https://imgur.com/a/UMayj

Also, building a master branch now gives me these warnings

  HELP2MAN doc/guix-publish.1
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = "",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
  HELP2MAN doc/guix-refresh.1
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = "",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
  HELP2MAN doc/guix.1
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = "",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"

I reinstalled the fonts that I remember I had, and also the glibc locales
thing, but that didn't help

I think I can use this installation anyway, but I believed it was relevant
to reporrt these issues here

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-02 20:06 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-02 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

anothher thing that's happened iis thhat videos won't work anymore

Both flv and mp4 videos. I open them, te video app comes up but the play
doesn't start. The window stays empty

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-03  7:20 ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-05-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: catonano; +Cc: help-guix

From: Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
Subject: guix gc
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 20:25:37 +0200

> Also, building a master branch now gives me these warnings
> [...]

Did run ./bootstrap and ./configure again after the garbage
collection?  After gc, some of the references to compilers, libraries
etc found by your original ./configure run might not be valid anymore
(at least that's how I understand it.  has happened to me several
times).

I have no idea about the font issue you're having, I believe that the
fontconfig references bug has been solved.  Did you reconfigure the
system recently?  (What happens if you reconfigure now?)

Thomas

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-03  9:31 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

> I run guix gc for the first time since when I installed GuixSD
>
> I remember there was a bug for which pieces that should not be garbage
> collected get garbage collected anyway

I don’t know if the problems you describe relate to it, but the bug¹
you’re referring to was fixed last month in master.  If you upgrade to a
less-than-a-month-old GuixSD you shouldn’t have this problem.

Did you try upgrading?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ <https://bugs.gnu.org/24703>

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-04  6:37   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-04  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> Hi,
>
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I run guix gc for the first time since when I installed GuixSD
> >
> > I remember there was a bug for which pieces that should not be garbage
> > collected get garbage collected anyway
>
> I don’t know if the problems you describe relate to it, but the bug¹
> you’re referring to was fixed last month in master.  If you upgrade to a
> less-than-a-month-old GuixSD you shouldn’t have this problem.
>
> Did you try upgrading?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
>
> ¹ <https://bugs.gnu.org/24703>

I did upgrade right now

I also removed fontconfig, gc'ed and reinstalled fontconfig

The terminal is still messed up

Maybe I should remove te fonts, gc and ten reinstall them ?

Let me see...

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-04  7:00   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-04  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

> From: Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
> Subject: guix gc
> Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 20:25:37 +0200
>
> Also, building a master branch now gives me these warnings
>> [...]
>>

> Did run ./bootstrap and ./configure again after the garbage collection?
> After gc, some of the references to compilers, libraries etc found by your
> original ./configure run might not be valid anymore (at least that's how I
> understand it.  has happened to me several times).

I did rerun configure but not bootstrap. I will try. Thanks

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-04  7:49     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-04  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

>> From: Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
>> Subject: guix gc
>> Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 20:25:37 +0200
>>
>> Also, building a master branch now gives me these warnings
>>> [...]
>>>

>> Did run ./bootstrap and ./configure again after the garbage collection?
>> After gc, some of the references to compilers, libraries etc found by your
>> original ./configure run might not be valid anymore (at least that's how I
>> understand it.  has happened to me several times).
>>

> I did rerun configure but not bootstrap. I will try. Thanks

you were right, the bootstrap was required
Thanks

* Re: guix gc
@ 2017-05-04  7:50     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-04  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

>> Hi,
>>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>> > I run guix gc for the first time since when I installed GuixSD
>> >
>> > I remember there was a bug for which pieces that should not be garbage
>> > collected get garbage collected anyway
>>
>> I don’t know if the problems you describe relate to it, but the bug¹
>> you’re referring to was fixed last month in master.  If you upgrade to a
>> less-than-a-month-old GuixSD you shouldn’t have this problem.
>>
>> Did you try upgrading?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>>
>> ¹ <https://bugs.gnu.org/24703>
>>

> I did upgrade right now
>
> I also removed fontconfig, gc'ed and reinstalled fontconfig
>
> The terminal is still messed up
>
> Maybe I should remove te fonts, gc and ten reinstall them ?
>
> Let me see...

I made things worse

In fact, even after having reinstalled all the onts tat were previously
tere (I think) the titles in the windows bars are garbled

Here is a reference
https://imgur.com/a/p4JoO

* Broken fonts in gnome-terminal
@ 2017-05-04  8:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-04  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

> I did upgrade right now
>
> I also removed fontconfig, gc'ed and reinstalled fontconfig

Not sure what you mean here.  Fontconfig cannot be removed from
/gnu/store without first removing all the graphical applications in
there (almost all them depend on Fontconfig indirectly).

Did you try refreshing the font cache using “fc-cache -f”?

> The terminal is still messed up
>
> Maybe I should remove te fonts, gc and ten reinstall them ?

According to the image you posted

  https://imgur.com/a/0l89F
  https://imgur.com/a/UMayj

you’re using gnome-terminal.  How did you install it?  Are you using
‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, or something else?

If you’re using ‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, can you reproduce the
problem if you build a VM of your system, with ‘guix system vm’, and run
the terminal in there?

Ludo’.

* Re: Broken fonts in gnome-terminal
@ 2017-05-04 14:15       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-04 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> Hello,
>
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I did upgrade right now
> >
> > I also removed fontconfig, gc'ed and reinstalled fontconfig
>
> Not sure what you mean here.  Fontconfig cannot be removed from
> /gnu/store without first removing all the graphical applications in
> there (almost all them depend on Fontconfig indirectly).

Ah I didn't considerr this. I installed fontconffig in my profile because
without it Emacs would mess up the fonts.

I didn't consider that something else depends on it too.

> Did you try refreshing the font cache using “fc-cache -f”?

I hadn't. Now I have and it seems it doesn't help

> > The terminal is still messed up
> >
> > Maybe I should remove te fonts, gc and ten reinstall them ?
>
> According to the image you posted
>
>   https://imgur.com/a/0l89F
>   https://imgur.com/a/UMayj
>
> you’re using gnome-terminal.  How did you install it?  Are you using
> ‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, or something else?

Yes, gnome-desktop-service on GuixSD

> If you’re using ‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, can you reproduce the
> problem if you build a VM of your system, with ‘guix system vm’, and run
> the terminal in there?

Ok, here is a picture taken from a brand new vm image running in quemu
https://imgur.com/a/lNKrT

It's good, I'd say

* Re: Broken fonts in gnome-terminal
@ 2017-05-04 14:17         ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

>> Hello,
>>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>> > I did upgrade right now
>> >
>> > I also removed fontconfig, gc'ed and reinstalled fontconfig
>>
>> Not sure what you mean here.  Fontconfig cannot be removed from
>> /gnu/store without first removing all the graphical applications in
>> there (almost all them depend on Fontconfig indirectly).
>>

> Ah I didn't considerr this. I installed fontconffig in my profile because
> without it Emacs would mess up the fonts.
>
> I didn't consider that something else depends on it too.
>

>> Did you try refreshing the font cache using “fc-cache -f”?
>>

> I hadn't. Now I have and it seems it doesn't help
>

>> > The terminal is still messed up
>> >
>> > Maybe I should remove te fonts, gc and ten reinstall them ?
>>
>> According to the image you posted
>>
>>   https://imgur.com/a/0l89F
>>   https://imgur.com/a/UMayj
>>
>> you’re using gnome-terminal.  How did you install it?  Are you using
>> ‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, or something else?
>>

> Yes, gnome-desktop-service on GuixSD
>

>> If you’re using ‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, can you reproduce the
>> problem if you build a VM of your system, with ‘guix system vm’, and run
>> the terminal in there?
>>

> Ok, here is a picture taken from a brand new vm image running in quemu
> https://imgur.com/a/lNKrT
>
> It's good, I'd say

I pressed send by mistake

This is the command line I used to create the image

guix system vm-image /etc/vm-config-desktop.scm \
   --image-size=30GB \
   --share=$HOME=/exchange

and this is the command line I used to run it (ater having copied the image
out o the store)

qemu-system-x86_64 \
 -net user,hostfwd=tcp::10022-:22 \
 -net nic,model=virtio \
 -enable-kvm -m 4096 /home/catonano/projects/qemu-image

* Re: Broken fonts in gnome-terminal
@ 2017-05-05  7:52         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-05  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

[...]

>> If you’re using ‘gnome-desktop-service’ on GuixSD, can you reproduce the
>> problem if you build a VM of your system, with ‘guix system vm’, and run
>> the terminal in there?
>>

> Ok, here is a picture taken from a brand new vm image running in quemu
> https://imgur.com/a/lNKrT
>
> It's good, I'd say

Good.  Could it be that there’s an issue with GNOME settings or
something similar on your system?

Did you do anything special when the breakage happened?

Did anyone else experience a similar problem?

If the VM doesn’t show the problem and if “fc-cache -f” doesn’t help,
then I don’t know what could be causing the problem.

@ 2017-05-05 12:34           ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix