all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wrapping freexl in guile
@ 2017-06-03 20:35 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-06-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I copied guile-gcrypt

I changed all the occurrrences of "gcrypt" in "freexl" in all the relevant
files

I created an env with

~/projects/guile-freexl$ guix environment -l ./guix.scm --ad-hoc guile
freexl

I run configure and I got

checking for libfreexl-config... no
checking libfreexl's library directory...
checking for libfreexl shared library name... libfreexl
checking whether libfreexl can be dynamically loaded... no
configure: error: GNU libfreexl does not appear to be usable; see
`--with-libfreexl-prefix' and `README'.

If I do the same in guile-gcrypt it builds successfully

Why ?

P.S. it's here https://gitlab.com/humanitiesNerd/guile-freexl
P.P.S I tried with both "libfreexl" AND "freexl"

* Re: wrapping freexl in guile
@ 2017-06-03 20:46 ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2017-06-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> I copied guile-gcrypt
>
> I changed all the occurrrences of "gcrypt" in "freexl" in all the relevant
> files
>
> I created an env with
>
> ~/projects/guile-freexl$ guix environment -l ./guix.scm --ad-hoc guile
> freexl
>
> I run configure and I got
>
> checking for libfreexl-config... no
> checking libfreexl's library directory...
> checking for libfreexl shared library name... libfreexl
> checking whether libfreexl can be dynamically loaded... no
> configure: error: GNU libfreexl does not appear to be usable; see
> `--with-libfreexl-prefix' and `README'.

I quickly tried:
`./configure --with-freexl-prefix=$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT'
and that seems to complete (a `make' invocation afterwards
understandably fails).

Maybe the following link might help you? It was actually about gcrypt ;-).
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2013-02/msg00062.html

> If I do the same in guile-gcrypt it builds successfully
>
> Why ?
>
> P.S. it's here https://gitlab.com/humanitiesNerd/guile-freexl
> P.P.S I tried with both "libfreexl" AND "freexl"

Thanks for working on this!

* Re: wrapping freexl in guile
@ 2017-06-03 20:49 ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2017-06-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> I copied guile-gcrypt
>
> I changed all the occurrrences of "gcrypt" in "freexl" in all the relevant
> files
>
> I created an env with
>
> ~/projects/guile-freexl$ guix environment -l ./guix.scm --ad-hoc guile
> freexl
>
> I run configure and I got
>
> checking for libfreexl-config... no
> checking libfreexl's library directory...
> checking for libfreexl shared library name... libfreexl
> checking whether libfreexl can be dynamically loaded... no
> configure: error: GNU libfreexl does not appear to be usable; see
> `--with-libfreexl-prefix' and `README'.

The following command seemed to run to completion for me:
[env]$ ./configure --with-freexl-prefix=$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT

Maybe check out the following link, by coincidence about gcrypt as well ;-).

@ 2017-06-04  4:55   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-06-04  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht; +Cc: help-guix

Jelle,

thank you for your suggestion

But there's something I don't understand

the suggestion to add

--with-freexl-prefix=$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT

fixes my guile-freexl but is nor necessary in guile-gcrypt

why ?

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > checking for libfreexl-config... no
> > checking libfreexl's library directory...
> > checking for libfreexl shared library name... libfreexl
> > checking whether libfreexl can be dynamically loaded... no
> > configure: error: GNU libfreexl does not appear to be usable; see
> > `--with-libfreexl-prefix' and `README'.
> >
> The following command seemed to run to completion for me:
> [env]$ ./configure --with-freexl-prefix=$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT
>
> Maybe check out the following link, by coincidence about gcrypt as well
> ;-).
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2013-02/msg00062.html

this is an excerpt from running configure in guile-gcrypt

checking for guile-config... /home/catonano/.guix-profile/bin/guile-config
checking for libgcrypt-config...
/gnu/store/1y54p19lvz3rh6a5dyynnffn9dbal2li-profile/bin/libgcrypt-config
checking libgcrypt's library directory...
/gnu/store/hag795ji8p9vqikwp8cibfibpsa39s3n-libgcrypt-1.7.6/lib
checking for libgcrypt shared library name...
/gnu/store/hag795ji8p9vqikwp8cibfibpsa39s3n-libgcrypt-1.7.6/lib/libgcrypt

As you can see it checks that "...bin/libgcrypt-config" is present AND it
checks the "shared library name"

Now this is configure from my guile-freexl

checking for guile-config... /home/catonano/.guix-profile/bin/guile-config
checking for freexl shared library name...
/gnu/store/13p9jpf8gp3mg414az1dsf59vw2hyyw2-profile/lib/libfreexl

as you can see it DOESN'T look for any ...bin/freexl-config AND it doesn't
look for the library shared name

why ?

It is substantially the same repo, I cloned it and changed the strings
"gcrypt" to "freexl"

That's all I did

* Re: wrapping freexl in guile
@ 2017-06-07  9:48     ` Catonano