all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* website question
@ 2017-04-03 12:08 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-04-03 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Most initial texts for pragmatique's website are now done.
As I don't want to introduce it with a plain white one-page site, I
thought about what I want to use. Jinja (taler.net) or Guile (guix,
guile). The software part of the project is based on and into Guix, so
it would be good to make use of Guile where possible. The only reason
I'd choose taler.net template for is that it already has a solution for
#26302 (translation of texts)[0].

As I dislike keeping changes which could be beneficial for others:
If I start with an individual repo, could patches which would fix
for example the translation problem still be applied "somehow" to
guix-artwork although both repositories share no root but just similiar
files?
Or do I have to commit again into guix-artwork then to share the
changes?

It makes no sense for me to re-use the guix-artwork repository as too
much content (graphics, texts, posts) will diverge from the one Guix
uses. I guess there will be maybe 20% code of guix-artwork.git/website/
left over.

What do you suggest to do?

0: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26302

* Re: website question
@ 2017-04-05 18:38 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-04-05 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> writes:

> Most initial texts for pragmatique's website are now done.
> As I don't want to introduce it with a plain white one-page site, I
> thought about what I want to use. Jinja (taler.net) or Guile (guix,
> guile). The software part of the project is based on and into Guix, so
> it would be good to make use of Guile where possible. The only reason
> I'd choose taler.net template for is that it already has a solution for
> #26302 (translation of texts)[0].
>
> As I dislike keeping changes which could be beneficial for others:
> If I start with an individual repo, could patches which would fix
> for example the translation problem still be applied "somehow" to
> guix-artwork although both repositories share no root but just similiar
> files?
> Or do I have to commit again into guix-artwork then to share the
> changes?
>
> It makes no sense for me to re-use the guix-artwork repository as too
> much content (graphics, texts, posts) will diverge from the one Guix
> uses. I guess there will be maybe 20% code of guix-artwork.git/website/
> left over.
>
> What do you suggest to do?

I don’t understand what this message is about.  Is there some context
I’m missing?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: website question
@ 2017-04-05 20:17   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-04-05 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> I don’t understand what this message is about.  Is there some context
> I’m missing?

Ok, this is how I understand this issue

ng0 is preparing their web site for promoting their project (a live distro
based on Guix)

One feature ng0 wants for their site is the ability to show the contents of
such site localized in several languages.

Like the Taler site https://taler.net/de/index.html (only parts are
actually translated, as far as I can tell)

It seems that Artanis and Haunt have no such functionality

So ng0 is thinking to extend those and implement that functionality
themselves

Because they want something Guile based

So they're asking how to proceed in order to make the result of such effort
available not only to their site, but to the general Artanis/Haunt
community.

This is the context, to the extent that I'm aware of it

My suggestion would be to extend Artanis/Haunt and send patches upstream.

The Guile web site will catch up eventually.

Otherwise, ng0, you could manage to produce some patches that apply to the
common subset of files (common between Artanis/Haunt and your site)

* Re: website question
@ 2017-04-05 20:49     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-04-05 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano transcribed 3.2K bytes:

> > I don’t understand what this message is about.  Is there some context
> > I’m missing?

Yeah, sorry. It could've been expressed with less noise, there's just
too much noise in my head for processing individual thought patterns (no
reference to the album ;D) in the recent weeks.

> Ok, this is how I understand this issue
>
> ng0 is preparing their web site for promoting their project (a live distro
> based on Guix)
>
> One feature ng0 wants for their site is the ability to show the contents of
> such site localized in several languages.

That is what I want for Guix as well, as I see it as an important
missing function.

> Like the Taler site https://taler.net/de/index.html (only parts are
> actually translated, as far as I can tell)

Yeah, I thought more of it was translated. But the possibility is there.

> It seems that Artanis and Haunt have no such functionality

Haunt simply has no opinion, and formats such as Markdown don't have it
either. The only format I am aware of which has this functionality is
the C meets HTML meets something else home-grown format a friend uses
since the '90s. If I come to find out that this is really the only time
saving solution, I will write something which just parses files writen
in that language, but I'd rather have something which works for
everyone and their existing environments.

> So ng0 is thinking to extend those and implement that functionality
> themselves
>
> Because they want something Guile based
>
> So they're asking how to proceed in order to make the result of such effort
> available not only to their site, but to the general Artanis/Haunt
> community.
>
> This is the context, to the extent that I'm aware of it
>
> My suggestion would be to extend Artanis/Haunt and send patches upstream.
>
> The Guile web site will catch up eventually.
>
> Otherwise, ng0, you could manage to produce some patches that apply to the
> common subset of files (common between Artanis/Haunt and your site)

Your reply helped a bit, thanks. Ultimately it's (hopefully) not only up
to me alone how we proceed with the web site at pragmatique.

I wrote the first message before I knew where I was going with the
layout, etc. It's loosely based on the Guix website but uses its own
theme, no images, etc. Just a first primary version (did I mention
already that school (the later digital/media/art related parts) ruined
art and web design for me? It's annoying.)