all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* is it me ?
@ 2017-05-01 11:11 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-01 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Recently I've been suggested to look at the definition o scmutils as a
reference

I made a really short screencast about how a a procedure in there is not
browsable with geiser.

It's here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AgFaOPvGCI&feature=youtu.be

Now, I think I can overcome this. But if there's anything I can do to
improve the experience, I'd liek to know it.

Thanks in advance

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-01 16:41 ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On 05/01/2017 at 13:11 Catonano writes:

> Recently I've been suggested to look at the definition o scmutils as a reference
>
> I made a really short screencast about how a a procedure in there is not browsable with geiser.
>
> It's here
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AgFaOPvGCI&feature=youtu.be
>
> Now, I think I can overcome this. But if there's anything I can do to improve the experience, I'd liek to know it.
>
> Thanks in advance

I'm not a geiser or guile expert, but FWIW, my geiser works the same
as yours.

make-img is a local variable set by let* and passed to system a few
lines later.  I'm not sure what more geiser/guile can/would do in this
situation.

HTH - George

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-01 21:38 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hello!

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

> Recently I've been suggested to look at the definition o scmutils as a
> reference
>
> I made a really short screencast about how a a procedure in there is not
> browsable with geiser.
>
> It's here
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AgFaOPvGCI&feature=youtu.be

The ‘make-img’, ‘with-directory-excursion’, etc. bindings that you show
in the screencast are in “build-side code”.  IOW, what Geiser and Guile
see there is just data, akin to:

  '(hello there (make-img foo bar) (with-directory-excursion …))

From Guile’s perspective, the thing above is just a list that contains
lists and symbols, nothing more.  That’s why Geiser doesn’t help here.

In an ideal world, we’d be using gexps here instead of sexps like this,
and we could somehow instruct Geiser how to look up bindings that are
inside a gexp.  This is left as an exercise to the reader, though.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-02  9:09 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-05-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano (2017-05-01 13:11 +0200) wrote:

> Recently I've been suggested to look at the definition o scmutils as
> a reference
>
> I made a really short screencast about how a a procedure in there is
> not browsable with geiser.

As myglc2 noted "make-img" is just a variable defined in that "let*".
It is not some Guix procedure, it's a local variable that has a string
value (which is "echo ...").

OTOH, there is some build-side code as Ludovic mentioned that can be
browsable with Geiser.  For example, to be able to “edit”
‘with-directory-excursion’ thing, at first you need to evaluate
‘,use (guix build utils)’ in the REPL.

BTW there is a quicker way to move to a package definition from a "Guix
Packages" buffer – you can simply press "e" key there.  Also you may use
"M-x guix-edit" command (press TAB there to complete a package name).

--
Alex

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-02 17:37   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost, Ludovic Courtès, myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

> Catonano (2017-05-01 13:11 +0200) wrote:
>
> > Recently I've been suggested to look at the definition o scmutils as
> > a reference
> >
> > I made a really short screencast about how a a procedure in there is
> > not browsable with geiser.
>
> As myglc2 noted "make-img" is just a variable defined in that "let*".
> It is not some Guix procedure, it's a local variable that has a string
> value (which is "echo ...").

yes, I see that now :-/
That's wat Geiser was trying to tell me proposing some info about te let*
form

I don't know what I can say.
My outlook was so narrowed that I didn't realize that "(make-img..." was
NOT a procedure call.

Raising the look at the previous line would have been enough :-/

I sincerely apologize for the fuss

> OTOH, there is some build-side code as Ludovic mentioned that can be
> browsable with Geiser.  For example, to be able to “edit”
> ‘with-directory-excursion’ thing, at first you need to evaluate
> ‘,use (guix build utils)’ in the REPL.

Good to know, thanks

> BTW there is a quicker way to move to a package definition from a "Guix
> Packages" buffer – you can simply press "e" key there.  Also you may use
> "M-x guix-edit" command (press TAB there to complete a package name).

Yes, I know "guix edit"

I preferred the other way because I wanted to be sure a repl was available.
I had also prepared to show off C-c C-a but it slipped out of my mind when
recording

I didn't know about the "e" key, though. Thanks

Ludo, as an excercise I could try to convert that package to using gexps,
but as for instructing Geiser about how to deal with gexps, I wouldn't know
where to start from

I don't know what exactly the chatter between Geiser and the Guile REPL is
made of

Thank you all.

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-02 18:58     ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Alex Kost, help-guix

On 05/02/2017 at 19:37 Catonano writes:

[...]
> I sincerely apologize for the fuss

No need to apologize.  Discussion like this is a great addition to the
list.

[...]
>  BTW there is a quicker way to move to a package definition from a "Guix
>  Packages" buffer – you can simply press "e" key there. Also you may use
>  "M-x guix-edit" command (press TAB there to complete a package name).
>
> Yes, I know "guix edit"
>
> I preferred the other way because I wanted to be sure a repl was available.
> I had also prepared to show off C-c C-a but it slipped out of my mind
> when recording

FWIW, with this in your emacs init file ...

;; run-geiser automatically
(setq geiser-mode-start-repl-p t)

... the REPL will start automatically after 'M-x guix-edit'

As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
checkout, modify a package. If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.org

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-03 16:05       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: Alex Kost, help-guix

> No need to apologize.  Discussion like this is a great addition to the
> list.

[...]

> As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
> if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
> demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
> checkout, modify a package.

Thank you for your kind words

> If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
> more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
> guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or
> <http://www.gnu.org>

Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-03 19:08         ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-03 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Alex Kost, help-guix

On 05/03/2017 at 18:05 Catonano writes:

>  As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
>  if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
>  demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
>  checkout, modify a package.
>
>  If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
>  more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
>  guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or
>
> Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?

How about a scenario like this, all done from within emacs-guix running
against a git checkout ...

- find a package

- install it

- observe how it is working

- consider changing a config flag

- 'M-x Guix edit <package>'

- download the source: 'C-u . s'

- copy the package source out of the store (there is probably a better
  thing to do here)

- in <package> source: './configure --help' to see config options

- 'M-x Guix edit <package>' & modify #:configure-flags

- build the package: 'C-u . b'

- install the new version

- verify the package behavior has changed

- commit the change

- produce a potential guix patch

Note: I am not a 'M-x guix-edit' "daily driver". I hope others who are
will comment/improve the outline.

ISTM this scenario is useful because ...

1) it shows the control that guix gives to users

2) a knowledgeable <package> user can follow it to help improve how
   <package> runs in guix.

HTH - George

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-05 13:48           ` Amirouche
From: Amirouche @ 2017-05-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Le 03/05/2017 à 21:08, myglc2 a écrit :
> On 05/03/2017 at 18:05 Catonano writes:

>>   As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
>>   if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
>>   demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
>>   checkout, modify a package.
>>
>>   If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
>>   more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
>>   guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or
>>
>> Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?
> How about a scenario like this, all done from within emacs-guix running
> against a git checkout ...
>
> - find a package
>
> - install it
>
> - observe how it is working
>
> - consider changing a config flag
>
> - 'M-x Guix edit <package>'
>
> - download the source: 'C-u . s'
>
> - copy the package source out of the store (there is probably a better
>    thing to do here)
>
> - in <package> source: './configure --help' to see config options
>
> - 'M-x Guix edit <package>' & modify #:configure-flags
>
> - build the package: 'C-u . b'
>
> - install the new version
>
> - verify the package behavior has changed
>
> - commit the change
>
> - produce a potential guix patch
>
> Note: I am not a 'M-x guix-edit' "daily driver". I hope others who are
> will comment/improve the outline.
>
> ISTM this scenario is useful because ...
>
> 1) it shows the control that guix gives to users
>
> 2) a knowledgeable <package> user can follow it to help improve how
>     <package> runs in guix.
>
> HTH - George

+1

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-05 16:01           ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2, Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Alex Kost, help-guix

> On 05/03/2017 at 18:05 Catonano writes:

> >  As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
> >  if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
> >  demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
> >  checkout, modify a package.
> >
> >  If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
> >  more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
> >  guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or
> >
> > Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?
>
> How about a scenario like this, all done from within emacs-guix running
> against a git checkout ...
>
> - find a package
>
> - install it
>
> - observe how it is working
>
> - consider changing a config flag
>
> - 'M-x Guix edit <package>'
>
> - download the source: 'C-u . s'

I didn't kknow this one !

> - copy the package source out of the store (there is probably a better
>   thing to do here)
>
> - in <package> source: './configure --help' to see config options
>
> - 'M-x Guix edit <package>' & modify #:configure-flags

I think you can't modify a package in place. In fact, with guix edit it
gets open as ead only

As far as I understand, you should clone it locally, edit the copy in that
clone, build it, install it with ./pre-inst-env in that clone

If that's not too pettifogging for you, i could try

I'd also appreciate if you would suggest a package to del with, in this
hypotetical footage

> - build the package: 'C-u . b'

This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix facilities
on a local clone and I don't know how to do that

I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.

Thanks again

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-06  2:07             ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-06  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Alex Kost, help-guix

On 05/05/2017 at 18:01 Catonano writes:

>  On 05/03/2017 at 18:05 Catonano writes:
>
>  > 2017-05-02 20:58 GMT+02:00 myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com>:
>  >
>  > As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
>  > if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
>  > demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
>  > checkout, modify a package.
>  >
>  > If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
>  > more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
>  > guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or
>  >
>  > Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?
>
>  How about a scenario like this, all done from within emacs-guix running
>  against a git checkout ...
>
>  - find a package
>
>  - install it
>
>  - observe how it is working
>
>  - consider changing a config flag
>
>  - 'M-x Guix edit <package>'
>
>  - download the source: 'C-u . s'
>
> I didn't kknow this one !
>
>  - copy the package source out of the store (there is probably a better
>  thing to do here)
>
>  - in <package> source: './configure --help' to see config options
>
>  - 'M-x Guix edit <package>' & modify #:configure-flags
>
> I think you can't modify a package in place. In fact, with guix edit
> it gets open as ead only
>
> As far as I understand, you should clone it locally, edit the copy in that clone, build it, install it with ./pre-inst-env in that clone
>
> If that's not too pettifogging for you, i could try

Well, the scenario I outlined assumed running from a 'guix git checkout'
because I had the impression that you were running that way. But it may
be overkill for many users and it really might be better to create a
demo using a 'guix pull' setup. This could focus on using emacs-guix to
find, build, install, and inspect packages. It could also demonstrate
editing the system config, reconfiguring the system, creating a user
manifest and running 'guix package -m user.scm' Such a demo would be
very cool and immediately relevant to anyone that has just installed
guix or guixSD.

> I'd also appreciate if you would suggest a package to del with, in
> this hypotetical footage

I followed a scenario like the one I fist outlined to figure out why
emacs running in a terminal using screen had only 16 colors and how to
fix it and submit a patch to make it have 256 colors. So I guess you
could use that if you want to run from a terminal. But a better choice
might be a package where you can see the results of a config change on
the command line in an emacs shell buffer.

I hope someone reading this will suggest such a package ;-)

>  - build the package: 'C-u . b'
>
> This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix facilities on a local clone and I don't know how to do that
>
> I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.
>
> Thanks again

Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
would help.

But... would you want to first do the 'git pull' based demo?

HTH - George

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-06  7:33               ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-06  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

> On 05/05/2017 at 18:01 Catonano writes:

> >  On 05/03/2017 at 18:05 Catonano writes:
> >
> >  > 2017-05-02 20:58 GMT+02:00 myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com>:
> >  >
> >  > As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
> >  > if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a
> great
> >  > demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
> >  > checkout, modify a package.
> >  >
> >  > If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
> >  > more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
> >  > guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or
> >  >
> >  > Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?
> >
> >  How about a scenario like this, all done from within emacs-guix running
> >  against a git checkout ...
> >
> >  - find a package
> >
> >  - install it
> >
> >  - observe how it is working
> >
> >  - consider changing a config flag
> >
> >  - 'M-x Guix edit <package>'
> >
> >  - download the source: 'C-u . s'
> >
> > I didn't kknow this one !
> >
> >  - copy the package source out of the store (there is probably a better
> >  thing to do here)
> >
> >  - in <package> source: './configure --help' to see config options
> >
> >  - 'M-x Guix edit <package>' & modify #:configure-flags
> >
> > I think you can't modify a package in place. In fact, with guix edit
> > it gets open as ead only
> >
> > As far as I understand, you should clone it locally, edit the copy in
> that clone, build it, install it with ./pre-inst-env in that clone
> >
> > If that's not too pettifogging for you, i could try
>
> Well, the scenario I outlined assumed running from a 'guix git checkout'

No. I don't know how to run the Emacs guix-* commands on a checkout

> because I had the impression that you were running that way. But it may
> be overkill for many users and it really might be better to create a
> demo using a 'guix pull' setup. This could focus on using emacs-guix to
> find, build, install, and inspect packages.

That I can do

> It could also demonstrate
> editing the system config, reconfiguring the system, creating a user
> manifest and running 'guix package -m user.scm'

That, I'm not sure I can do. I never created a manifest and I never run
guix pakage - a-file.scm

Would you mind to write done the relevant commands for me ?

> I hope someone reading this will suggest such a package ;-)

Right, I'm open to suggestions

> >  - build the package: 'C-u . b'
> >
> > This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix
> facilities on a local clone and I don't know how to do that
> >
> > I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.
> >
> > Thanks again
>
> Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
> would help.

I'm not sure I understand, here.

Have you a system configuration that builds a system based on a guix git
checkout ?
I can't do that, either. I'd love to see it

> But... would you want to first do the 'git pull' based demo?

Yes. The git chheckout could be a second step

Thanks for your help !

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-07 12:12                 ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-07 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On 05/06/2017 at 09:33 Catonano writes:

> [...]
>  >
>  > If that's not too pettifogging for you, i could try
>
>  Well, the scenario I outlined assumed running from a 'guix git checkout'
>
> No. I don't know how to run the Emacs guix-* commands on a checkout
>
>  because I had the impression that you were running that way. But it may
>  be overkill for many users and it really might be better to create a
>  demo using a 'guix pull' setup. This could focus on using emacs-guix to
>  find, build, install, and inspect packages.
>
> That I can do
>
>  It could also demonstrate
>  editing the system config, reconfiguring the system, creating a user
>  manifest and running 'guix package -m user.scm'
>
> That, I'm not sure I can do. I never created a manifest and I never run guix pakage - a-file.scm
>
> Would you mind to write done the relevant commands for me ?

I have attached the user config manifest I am currently using. I apply
it with ...

guix package -m g1.scm

... you can also invoke this using the emacs-guix 'M-x guix' popup,
which might be nicer to show in the demo.

>  I hope someone reading this will suggest such a package ;-)
>
> Right, I'm open to suggestions
>
>  > - build the package: 'C-u . b'
>  >
>  > This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix facilities on a local clone and I don't know how to do that
>  >
>  > I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.
>  >
>  > Thanks again
>
>  Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
>  would help.
>
> I'm not sure I understand, here.

I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
use when you want it.

> Have you a system configuration that builds a system based on a guix git checkout ?
> I can't do that, either. I'd love to see it

Hmm, I guess I don't know if you running GuixSD or Guix on another
GNU/Linux OS. I was assuming you are running GuixSD and I was referring
to doing ...

guix system reconfigure sys.scm

If you are running guix/GNU/Linux then you won't be able to include this
in the demo.

>  But... would you want to first do the 'git pull' based demo?
>
> Yes. The git chheckout could be a second step

Great, sounds like a good plan

> Thanks for your help !

YW - George

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-07 12:14                   ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Oops, and here is the attachment ...

On 05/07/2017 at 08:12 myglc2 writes:

> [...]
>>
>>  Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
>>  would help.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand, here.
>
> I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
> different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
> use when you want it.
>
>> Have you a system configuration that builds a system based on a guix git checkout ?
>> I can't do that, either. I'd love to see it
>
> Hmm, I guess I don't know if you running GuixSD or Guix on another
> GNU/Linux OS. I was assuming you are running GuixSD and I was referring
> to doing ...
>
> guix system reconfigure sys.scm
>
> If you are running guix/GNU/Linux then you won't be able to include this
> in the demo.
>
>>  But... would you want to first do the 'git pull' based demo?
>>
>> Yes. The git chheckout could be a second step

[-- Attachment #2: g1.scm --]

;; Guix user config
(use-modules (gnu packages))
(use-modules (guix profiles))
(packages->manifest
 (map (compose list specification->package+output)
      '("aspell"
	"aspell-dict-en"
	"emacs-ag"
	"emacs-bui" ;; to build emacs-guix from git checkout
	"emacs-no-x-toolkit"
	"emacs-paredit"
	"emacs-pdf-tools"
	"emacs-simple-httpd"
	"emacs-web-mode"
	"emacs-zenburn-theme"
	"font-dejavu"
	"font-gnu-freefont-ttf"
	"geiser"
	"ghostscript"
	"graphviz"
	"gs-fonts"
	"guile-charting"
	"gv"
	"icecat"
	"isync"
	"magit"
	"mosh"
	"mu"
	"mupdf"
	"notmuch"
	"sicp"
	"the-silver-searcher"
	"tree"
	)))

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-09 16:44                   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-09 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

> [...]
> >
> >  because I had the impression that you were running that way. But it may
> >  be overkill for many users and it really might be better to create a
> >  demo using a 'guix pull' setup. This could focus on using emacs-guix to
> >  find, build, install, and inspect packages.
> >
> > That I can do
> >
> >  It could also demonstrate
> >  editing the system config, reconfiguring the system, creating a user
> >  manifest and running 'guix package -m user.scm'
> >
> > That, I'm not sure I can do. I never created a manifest and I never run
> guix pakage - a-file.scm
> >
> > Would you mind to write done the relevant commands for me ?
>
> I have attached the user config manifest I am currently using. I apply
> it with ...
>
> guix package -m g1.scm
>
> ... you can also invoke this using the emacs-guix 'M-x guix' popup,
> which might be nicer to show in the demo.

Oh I see now. Thanks !

> >  I hope someone reading this will suggest such a package ;-)
> >
> > Right, I'm open to suggestions
> >
> >  > - build the package: 'C-u . b'
> >  >
> >  > This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix
> facilities on a local clone and I don't know how to do that
> >  >
> >  > I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.
> >  >
> >  > Thanks again
> >
> >  Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
> >  would help.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand, here.
>
> I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
> different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
> use when you want it.

Yes, I' d like you to outline the approaches you are referring to. Thanks

> > Have you a system configuration that builds a system based on a guix git
> checkout ?
> > I can't do that, either. I'd love to see it
>
> Hmm, I guess I don't know if you running GuixSD or Guix on another
> GNU/Linux OS. I was assuming you are running GuixSD and I was referring
> to doing ...

Yes, I am running GuixSD. I' m not on a host distro

What I mean is that if I invoke the Emacs Guix commands, they will show the
host guix installation

If I checkout a guix master branch then I can operate it ONLY via the
terminal

What I can do  is launching a REPL with pre-inst.env and then connect to it
from within Emacs and use scheme commands from within Emacs

But I can' t show the beautiful buffers of the Emacs Guix commands in a way
that they refer to a checked out master branch.

So I don' t know how to inspect a package definition, edit it _in place_
and then produce a patch from within guix-emacs

I hope I made the problem clear

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-11 15:21                     ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-11 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On 05/09/2017 at 18:44 Catonano writes:

> [...]
>  >
>  > > - build the package: 'C-u . b'
>  > >
>  > > This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix facilities on a local clone and I don't know how to do that
>  > >
>  > > I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.
>  > >
>  > > Thanks again
>  >
>  > Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
>  > would help.
>  >
>  > I'm not sure I understand, here.
>
>  I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
>  different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
>  use when you want it.
>
> Yes, I' d like you to outline the approaches you are referring

Hi, I just posted (and ccd you) my setup on another thread. Please let
me know if you have questions.

>  > Have you a system configuration that builds a system based on a guix git checkout ?
>  > I can't do that, either. I'd love to see it
>
>  Hmm, I guess I don't know if you running GuixSD or Guix on another
>  GNU/Linux OS. I was assuming you are running GuixSD and I was referring
>  to doing ...
>
> Yes, I am running GuixSD. I' m not on a host distro
>
> What I mean is that if I invoke the Emacs Guix commands, they will
> show the host guix installation

Yes, this is what happens in a "vanilla" guix installation. You see the
read-only guix code.

> If I checkout a guix master branch then I can operate it ONLY via the
> terminal

I run on a headless server, so I don't have personal experience with a
desktop installation, but I don't believe the limitation you describe
actually exists.

> What I can do is launching a REPL with pre-inst.env and then connect
> to it from within Emacs and use scheme commands from within Emacs

Yes, you can do that. But I don't because I hate typing ;-)

> But I can' t show the beautiful buffers of the Emacs Guix commands in a way that they refer to a checked out master branch.
>
> So I don' t know how to inspect a package definition, edit it _in
> place_ and then produce a patch from within guix-emacs

Please try the setup that I posted. I think you will find that it allows
you to do this.

HTH - George

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-14  7:16                       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-14  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

> [...]
> >  > > This one, for example, would require you to run the emacs-guix
> facilities on a local clone and I don't know how to do that
> >  > >
> >  > > I remember Ludo doing this in a footage but I could use a reminder.
> >  > >
> >  > > Thanks again
> >  >
> >  > Right. And I am happy to share my git checkout config with you if that
> >  > would help.
> >  >
> >  > I'm not sure I understand, here.
> >
> >  I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
> >  different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
> >  use when you want it.
> >
> > Yes, I' d like you to outline the approaches you are referring
> > to. Thanks
>
> Hi, I just posted (and ccd you) my setup on another thread. Please let

Thank youu verrry much !

> > What I mean is that if I invoke the Emacs Guix commands, they will
> > show the host guix installation
>

> I run on a headless server, so I don't have personal experience with a
> desktop installation, but I don't believe the limitation you describe
> actually exists.
>

> Please try the setup that I posted. I think you will find that it allows
> you to do this.

George, thank you so  much for this suggestion, I hadn't considered this
would have been possible.

Does the manual mention this anywhere ?

Otherwise the hypotetical footage would suggest this out of the blue and
that could be disorienting to someone who is learning.

But it's a very nifty trick !
Thanks !

* Re: is it me ?
@ 2017-05-14 13:06                         ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-14 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On 05/14/2017 at 09:16 Catonano writes:

>  On 05/09/2017 at 18:44 Catonano writes:
>
>  > 2017-05-07 14:12 GMT+02:00 myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com>:
>  >
>  > On 05/06/2017 at 09:33 Catonano writes:
>  >
>  > > 2017-05-06 4:07 GMT+02:00 myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com>:
>  > >
>  > > On 05/05/2017 at 18:01 Catonano writes:
[...]
>  > > I'm not sure I understand, here.
>  >
>  > I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
>  > different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
>  > use when you want it.
>  >
>  > Yes, I' d like you to outline the approaches you are referring
>  > to. Thanks
>
>  Hi, I just posted (and ccd you) my setup on another thread. Please let
>  me know if you have questions.
>
> Thank youu verrry much !
>
>  > What I mean is that if I invoke the Emacs Guix commands, they will
>  > show the host guix installation
>
>  I run on a headless server, so I don't have personal experience with a
>  desktop installation, but I don't believe the limitation you describe
>  actually exists.
>
>  Please try the setup that I posted. I think you will find that it allows
>  you to do this.
>
> George, thank you so much for this suggestion, I hadn't considered this would have been possible.
>
> Does the manual mention this anywhere ?
>
> Otherwise the hypotetical footage would suggest this out of the blue and that could be disorienting to someone who is learning.
>
> But it's a very nifty trick !
> Thanks !

YW. I believe that the manual documents all the config bits used. I
arrived at it after reading IRC #guix over the last 12 months where it
was described in bits and pieces by others. Quite a while ago I
suggested adding a "how to" along these lines to the guix and emacs-guix
manuals. The response from the developers was lukewarm: 1) adding such a
section to a manual increases the difficulty of maintaining the manual,
and 2) config is a matter of user choice. It could be put in a wiki, but
I hate software wikis because they are usually out of date and therefore
most often wrong. ISTM it might be put into a "guix-ide" package and/or
user service & this would be the best way to make it available to users.