all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#29965: Warning: vlan0 is not connected to the host network
@ 2018-01-03 19:36 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-03 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 29965

This is the warning I get when I run a virtual machine made with guix
system vm

I made a a short video, here
https://youtu.be/d_vpHoie5fY

* bug#29965: Warning: vlan0 is not connected to the host network
@ 2018-01-03 22:10 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 29965

I managed to use system vm-image instead of system vm and I have to say it
fares better

I can fiddle with qemu switches and I managed to allow my virtual machine
to reach out on the network,

The machine is faster and less awkard, the terminal background is dark
instead of sun bright

So this bug is not  urgent

But I still think this is a bug. system vm is a Guix feature and the
machine it provides should be able to get on the network, I think

* bug#29965: Warning: vlan0 is not connected to the host network
@ 2018-01-03 22:45   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-01-03 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: 29965

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:10:08PM +0100, Catonano wrote:
> I managed to use system vm-image instead of system vm and I have to say it
> fares better
>
> I can fiddle with qemu switches and I managed to allow my virtual machine
> to reach out on the network,
>
> The machine is faster and less awkard, the terminal background is dark
> instead of sun bright
>
> So this bug is not  urgent
>
> But I still think this is a bug. system vm is a Guix feature and the
> machine it provides should be able to get on the network, I think

When you run the script created by `guix system vm`, you can add
arguments to QEMU on the command-line. For example,

$ /gnu/store/...-run-vm.sh -net user -net nic,model=virtio

Or even:

$(guix system vm config.scm) -net user -net nic,model=virtio

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#29965: Warning: vlan0 is not connected to the host network
@ 2018-01-04  8:13     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: 29965

> On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:10:08PM +0100, Catonano wrote:
> > I managed to use system vm-image instead of system vm and I have to say
> it
> > fares better
> >
> > I can fiddle with qemu switches and I managed to allow my virtual machine
> > to reach out on the network,
> >
> > The machine is faster and less awkard, the terminal background is dark
> > instead of sun bright
> >
> > So this bug is not  urgent
> >
> > But I still think this is a bug. system vm is a Guix feature and the
> > machine it provides should be able to get on the network, I think
>
> When you run the script created by `guix system vm`, you can add
> arguments to QEMU on the command-line.

Ah, this didn't come to my mind !

> For example,
>
> $ /gnu/store/...-run-vm.sh -net user -net nic,model=virtio

I see. Wonderful

> Or even:
>
> $(guix system vm config.scm) -net user -net nic,model=virtio

What' s this ?
What does come out of "$(guix system config.scm)" ?

* bug#29965: Warning: vlan0 is not connected to the host network
@ 2018-01-04 14:50       ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2018-01-04 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: 29965

Hello Catonano,

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> $(guix system vm config.scm) -net user -net nic,model=virtio
>
> What' s this ?
> What does come out of "$(guix system config.scm)" ?

/gnu/store/...-run-vm.sh comes out of this and replaces $(…) thing.

As I understand from the video you posted at the thread beginning,
produced QEMU virtual machine doesn't have a network connection.

How did you come to this?  "ping" will not work for QEMU machines by
default, but the network should work.

You could try to open a web-page with a browser or do anything except
programs like "ping" which uses (ICMP protocol).

Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#29965: Warning: vlan0 is not connected to the host network
@ 2018-01-08 23:36         ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-08 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: 29965