all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnome unable to remove application
@ 2016-03-08  4:18 rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-03-08  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

i reconfigure my system with gnome meta-package and all good.

I try to delete the application evince; guix message says that
eliminates the application. But if I run the command evince still
exists.

Thks.

* Re: gnome unable to remove application
@ 2016-03-08  4:40 ` carl hansen
From: carl hansen @ 2016-03-08  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM, <rennes@openmailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i reconfigure my system with gnome meta-package and all good.
>
> I try to delete the application evince; guix message says that eliminates
> the application. But if I run the command evince still exists.
>

> Thks.

What does
which evince
say?

* Re: gnome unable to remove application
@ 2016-03-08 13:00   ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-03-08 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carl hansen; +Cc: help-guix

On 2016-03-07 22:40, carl hansen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM, <rennes@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i reconfigure my system with gnome meta-package and all good.
>>
>> I try to delete the application evince; guix message says that
>> eliminates the application. But if I run the command evince still
>> exists.
>>
>> Thks.
>
> What does
>
> which evince
>
> say?

First i remove evince applicattion:

$ guix package -r evince
nothing to be done

Later i type the command 'evince', and the command still exists:

$ evince
evince              evince-previewer    evince-thumbnailer
$ evince

* Re: gnome unable to remove application
@ 2016-03-08 14:07     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-03-08 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM,  <rennes@openmailbox.org> wrote:

> First i remove evince applicattion:
>
> $ guix package -r evince
> nothing to be done

Yes, because evince is *not* in your user profile.

> Later i type the command 'evince', and the command still exists:
>
> $ evince
> evince              evince-previewer    evince-thumbnailer
> $ evince

Yes, because evince is in the *system profile*, which is distinct from
your user profile.  Remove the GNOME package and reconfigure.  If you
just want to remove evince, then you'll want to create a variant of
the GNOME package and reconfigure with that instead.

- Dave

* Re: gnome unable to remove application
@ 2016-03-08 14:12       ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-03-08 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: help-guix

On 2016-03-08 08:07, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM,  <rennes@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> First i remove evince applicattion:
>>
>> $ guix package -r evince
>> nothing to be done
>
> Yes, because evince is *not* in your user profile.
>
>> Later i type the command 'evince', and the command still exists:
>>
>> $ evince
>> evince              evince-previewer    evince-thumbnailer
>> $ evince
>
> Yes, because evince is in the *system profile*, which is distinct from
> your user profile.  Remove the GNOME package and reconfigure.  If you
> just want to remove evince, then you'll want to create a variant of
> the GNOME package and reconfigure with that instead.
>
> - Dave

Interesting, Thanks