all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ibus-rime: Pressing F4 doesn't show RIME options in some applications
@ 2023-03-27 15:07 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2023-03-27 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Table of Contents
_________________

1. The problem
2. What I've tried

1 The problem
=============

  I've installed the package `ibus-rime'. The expected behavior is F4 to
  show a dialog for choosing RIME options (see this screenshot of that
  dialog which I took in my other Arch Linux system where I also use
  RIME: [4]). However, in my system that uses Guix System, pressing F4
  doesn't show such dialog in some applications (please see list of
  applications below).

  Pressing F4 shows dialog with RIME options in

  + flameshot [1]
  + okular
  + vlc

  Pressing F4 doesn't show dialog with RIME options in

  + audacity *
  + chromium *
  + fontforge [2] [3]
  + gedit *
  + inkscape *
  + libreoffice *
  + thunar *
  + xournalpp *
  + zathura *

  ,* The asterisk mean that I was able to use RIME in another system
  that uses Arch Linux and have RIME installed.

  [1] flameshot is used for taking screenshots on the fly so this app
  doesn't have noticeable input boxes. You can make it show an input box
  by trying to save a screenshot to a location instead of copying it to
  the clipboard.

  [2] fontforge is used for previewing fonts. One way to show an input
  box is to click on (menu bar) "Element" > "Font Info" > "Copyright".

  [3] fontforge was the only application where F4 didn't show the pop-up
  dialog in my other system that uses Arch Linux.

  [4]
  <
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/RIME_options_inside_LibreOffice.png

2 What I've tried
=================

  I tried setting the following environment variables in my guix home
  configuration both in `home-environment-variables-service-type' (which
  adds them to `~/.guix-home/setup-environment') and in
  `home-bash-configuration' (which adds them to
  `~/.bash_profile'). Below you can read the relevant part (just in case
  this helps, you can find my complete configuration in
  <https://paste.debian.net/1275411/> )

  ,----
  | (home-environment
  |
  |  (... some omitted lines ...)
  |
  |  (services
  |   (list
  |    (simple-service
  |     'some-useful-env-vars-service
  |     home-environment-variables-service-type
  |     '(("EDITOR" . "emacsclient")
  |       ("GTK_IM_MODULE" . "ibus")
  |       ("XMODIFIERS" . "@im=ibus")
  |       ("QT_IM_MODULE" . "ibus")))
  |    (service
  |     home-bash-service-type
  |     (home-bash-configuration
  |      (environment-variables
  |       `(("GTK_IM_MODULE" . "ibus")
  |         ("QT_IM_MODULE" . "ibus")
  |         ("XMODIFIERS" . "@im=ibus")
  |         ("GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE" .
 "/run/current-system/profile/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules-gtk2.cache")
  |         ("GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE" .
 "/run/current-system/profile/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules-gtk3.cache")))
  |      (aliases
  |       '(("grep" . "grep --color=auto")
  |         ("ll" . "ls -l")
  |         ("ls" . "ls -p --color=auto")
  |         ("d" . "cd ~/Downloads")))))
  |
  |    (... some omitted lines ...)
  |
  |    )
  |
  |   (... some omitted lines ...))
  `----

  I've set those environment variables because that's what `ibus-setup'
  recommends setting when you execute it without having executed
  `ibus-daemon' beforehand. This means that if I execute the following
  commands.

  ,----
  | pkill ibus-daemon
  | ibus-setup
  `----

  The following dialog is shown.

  ,----
  | The IBus daemon is not running. Do you wish to start it?
  | [No] [Yes]
  `----

  If I press `[Yes]', the following dialog, which contains information
  about the environment variables, is shown.

  ,----
  | IBus has been started! If you cannot use IBUS, add the following lines
to your $HOME/.bashrc; then relog into your desktop.

  | export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
  | export XMODIFIIERS=@im=ibus
  | export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
  |
  | [OK]
  `----

  In addition to that, I found [this guide] and [this guide] that
  provides instructions on how to install ibus on GuixSystem. Both guides
  also set those environment variables.

[this guide] <https://guix.org.cn/wiki/guix-system-gnome-ibus/>

[this guide] <https://guix.org.cn/wiki/input-method/>

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-03-27 15:08 UTC | newest]