Yes, I would say it is a bit redundant, partially on purpose :) I wanted to create a short set of instructions to help users get in to a GuixSD installation quickly, with the intent that they can poke around inside the system and then read through the "System Installation" section for more in-depth information. Why? I was looking for one myself and couldn't find it ;) I've seen one or two users in IRC who might benefit as well. Upon further reflection.. The Guix manual might not be an appropriate place for such a guide. If the Guix manual isn't a good place for such a set of instructions, do you have any suggestions for a location (blog, etc)? On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello! > > yoosty@gmail.com skribis: > > > +@node Quick Setup > > +@section Quick Setup > > + > > +So you just want the quick-and-dirty guide? Assuming you have some > > familiarity > > +with GNU/Linux systems in general and have installed one several times > > before > > +you can probably get started with a few notes while citing > > +@pxref{GNU Distribution} as necessary. As this is a quick-setup guide > > we'll use > > +some example defaults. > > + > > +The general idea is that you will: > > +@itemize > > +@item @uref{https://gnu.org/software/guix/download/, Download} the USB > > installer > > +@item Transfer the image to a USB stick (@pxref{USB Stick Installation}) > > +using dd > > +@item Boot the USB stick > > +@item Configure @pxref{Preparing for Installation,Networking} > > +@item Set your @xref{Preparing for Installation,Disk Partitioning} > > +(using an msdos label instead of a gpt label might be easier at the > moment) > > +@item Mount your partitions (e.g. /mnt) > > +@item Run (again, e.g. /mnt) @command{herd start cow-store /mnt} > > +@item Create a system configuration file using > > +@xref{Proceeding with the Installation} and > > +@xref{Using the Configuration System} as guides. It is suggested to > start > > +with the bare-bones template as you can easily re-configure your system > > +once it is up. > > +@item Using /mnt/root/guix_configs/config00.scm as the example config > file > > +and /mnt as the example install mount point, run > > +@command{guix system init /mnt/root/guix_configs/config00.scm /mnt} > > +@item Cross your fingers and grab a beer > > +@item If you're using reasonably new hardware and a bare-bones config > > +then guix should be done before your beverage and you can run > > +@command{reboot} > > +@end itemize > > [...] > > At first sight this seems redundant with the “System Installation” > section, no? > > What shortcoming are you trying to address? > > Thanks for helping out! > > Ludo’. > -- .:Justin:.