​Thanks for the reply. ​The proot (https://proot-me.github.io/) project allows you to map $HOME/gnu/store to /gnu/store etc. However, where I am struggling is the guixbuild users and group creation, and running guix daemon. I am using kernel 4+, which supports namespaces. This reminds if there is any effort to provide a lxc container for guixSD. Thanks, Rohit On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello! > > rohit yadav skribis: > > > I am using guix for sometime now and I must admit, it is very clean > > compared to nix. However, I want to install it on system where I do not > > have root permission. Is is possible? If so, how? > > It is possible, but currently inconvenient and brittle, as noted at the > bottom of: > > https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build- > Environment-Setup.html > > The problems are: > > 1. you’d be producing binaries for, say, /home/rohit/gnu/store instead > of /gnu/store, so you’d have to build everything by yourself since > the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org are for use in /gnu/store; > > 2. you’d have no build isolation and long file names, which is likely > to break builds here and there (things will use stuff from /usr/bin > and /lib, shebangs will be longer than the kernel-imposed limit, > etc.) > > There have been discussions to improve the situation, and work in that > direction will hopefully start this year¹. The preferred approach will > be the “user namespace” feature of the kernel Linux; does your system > support it, out of curiosity? > > Thanks, > Ludo’. > > ¹ See the discussion that starts at > . >