all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Zachary Kanfer <zkanfer@gmail.com>
To: Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Is there a beginner's guide to using Guix with Scheme files?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 00:06:30 -0400	[thread overview]

Thanks for the response. I think one of the things I was confused about was
that yes, the "average" user doesn't have to create packages, but can just
make manifests. There isn't much discussion of manifests in the
documentation, and I just missed it.

But manifests are required for me to use Guix. If my best option is running
`guix package -i emacs`, that's no advantage for me over `apt-get install
emacs`. Your mileage may differ; this is my opinion. I'm similarly not
installing GuixSD right now, but am using it on top of Ubuntu.