all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-19 21:36 Ethan Stefan Day
From: Ethan Stefan Day @ 2016-07-19 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

Will be a new version of GuixSD installation image once the dust settles
from the Hydra outage and the Sourceforge URL issue?  I ask because as I
understand it, it will be impossible to install from that image without
running 'guix pull' inside the installer, and I think I recall someone
on guix-devel saying to not do that.

-Ethan Day

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-20  3:55 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-20  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Stefan Day; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 05:36:50PM -0400, Ethan Stefan Day wrote:
> Will be a new version of GuixSD installation image once the dust settles
> from the Hydra outage and the Sourceforge URL issue?  I ask because as I
> understand it, it will be impossible to install from that image without
> running 'guix pull' inside the installer, and I think I recall someone
> on guix-devel saying to not do that.

Can you clarify why you think it would be impossible to install from the
0.10.0 GuixSD image? Hopefully that's not the case...

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-20  4:45   ` Ethan Stefan Day
From: Ethan Stefan Day @ 2016-07-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

On 07/19/2016 11:55 PM, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 05:36:50PM -0400, Ethan Stefan Day wrote:
>> Will be a new version of GuixSD installation image once the dust settles
>> from the Hydra outage and the Sourceforge URL issue?  I ask because as I
>> understand it, it will be impossible to install from that image without
>> running 'guix pull' inside the installer, and I think I recall someone
>> on guix-devel saying to not do that.
>
> Can you clarify why you think it would be impossible to install from the
> 0.10.0 GuixSD image? Hopefully that's not the case...

The installer requires additional software to be downloaded.  I have not
checked to see if this is actually the case, but it seems likely that
there is an intersection between the set of packages required to be
downloaded at install time, the set of packages whose binaries were lost
in the Hydra failure, the set of packages affected by the Sourceforge
URL issue, and the set of packages whose hashes have changed since
GuixSD 0.10.0 was released.  If that is the case, then there exists a
package P such that:
-The installer requires P to proceed.
-Hydra does not have the binary for P (it is silently ignoring bad URLs).
-The '--fallback' option for 'guix system init' will not work because of
the bad URLs.  (although I think the intent was for users to not have to
use that anyway)

If my concern is based on accurate understanding, I would be willing to
test it.  I was about to reinstall GuixSD on metal for unrelated reasons.

-Ethan Day

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-20  5:59     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-20  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Stefan Day; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:45:49AM -0400, Ethan Stefan Day wrote:
> -The installer requires P to proceed.
> -Hydra does not have the binary for P (it is silently ignoring bad URLs).
> -The '--fallback' option for 'guix system init' will not work because of
> the bad URLs.  (although I think the intent was for users to not have to
> use that anyway)

We should at least be able to re-add the source code to Hydra, and
hopefully the binaries. Since the source code is content-addressed, it
can be fetched from many places, such as the local /gnu/store, an URL,
the substitutes server, and also content-addressed mirrors [0] (but not
in 0.10.0).

In the worst case, users can find new source URLs and use `guix
download` to add the source code of missing binaries whose source URLs
have changed to the store.

We should think about how to make the release tags more resilient.

> If my concern is based on accurate understanding, I would be willing to
> test it.  I was about to reinstall GuixSD on metal for unrelated reasons.

Yes, please report anything that's missing.

[0]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=cd436bf05a8344acf4462f3602e7d360821a902a

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-20 13:34       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-20 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:45:49AM -0400, Ethan Stefan Day wrote:
>> -The installer requires P to proceed.
>> -Hydra does not have the binary for P (it is silently ignoring bad URLs).
>> -The '--fallback' option for 'guix system init' will not work because of
>> the bad URLs.  (although I think the intent was for users to not have to
>> use that anyway)
>
> We should at least be able to re-add the source code to Hydra, and
> hopefully the binaries. Since the source code is content-addressed, it
> can be fetched from many places, such as the local /gnu/store, an URL,
> the substitutes server, and also content-addressed mirrors [0] (but not
> in 0.10.0).

I think the main problem is that some of the 0.10.0 binaries have
vanished from {mirror.,}hydra.gnu.org.  Thus, people installing GuixSD
for the first time today have a very bad experience.

We can rebuild the ‘release-0-10’ branch on Hydra, but of course we’re
limited by the available resources.

At any rate, Ethan: I think we’ll make a 0.10.1 release once we’ve merge
‘core-updates’, which could be a week or two from now.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-20 14:13         ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-07-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> I think the main problem is that some of the 0.10.0 binaries have
> vanished from {mirror.,}hydra.gnu.org.  Thus, people installing GuixSD
> for the first time today have a very bad experience.

I concurr, today's nightmarish.

Long story short:

My first VM in which I installed guixsd successfully, didn't have enough
disk space. So I decided to make a new one from scratch : Bad idea...

And as I'm a complete scheme newbie, I cannot make sense of the
error messages I get, I cannot even know if PEBCAK...

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-21 11:35           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-21 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> skribis:

> Long story short:
>
> My first VM in which I installed guixsd successfully, didn't have enough
> disk space. So I decided to make a new one from scratch : Bad idea...

In the meantime, you could also generate your own up-to-date
installation image, which wouldn’t have this missing-substitute issue:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-the-Installation-Image.html

> And as I'm a complete scheme newbie, I cannot make sense of the
> error messages I get, I cannot even know if PEBCAK...

Please report the confusing error messages.  We need to improve them,
but we need to know exactly what you see and what’s confusing about it!
Old farts like are too much brain-damaged to even realize that error
messages are confusing.  ;-)

Ludo’.

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-21 11:44             ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-07-21 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> Please report the confusing error messages.  We need to improve them,
> but we need to know exactly what you see and what’s confusing about it!
> Old farts like are too much brain-damaged to even realize that error
> messages are confusing.  ;-)

OK I'll retry and report the error message here.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated !

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: new GuixSD version?
@ 2016-07-21 12:00               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-21 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> skribis:

>> Please report the confusing error messages.  We need to improve them,
>> but we need to know exactly what you see and what’s confusing about it!
>> Old farts like are too much brain-damaged to even realize that error
                ^^
Like me!

@ 2016-07-21 19:23       ` Ethan Stefan Day
From: Ethan Stefan Day @ 2016-07-21 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)