all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why are there no binary available
@ 2016-08-19 11:18 Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-08-19 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm trying to understand why are there no binaries available
for my system and I'm rebuilding everything.

The answer may be that I have a system configuration that
makes the hydra binaries not good for my system, but that
is just a guess...

Is there a guix command to know for sure that system
configuration is not compatible with hydra binaries ?

The following is an example:

/etc/config.scm
(bootloader (grub-configuration (theme (grub-theme))
may make the binaries incompatible with hydra-built ones...

How do I know ?

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Why are there no binary available
@ 2016-08-22 19:16 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-22 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:18:13PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> I'm trying to understand why are there no binaries available
> for my system and I'm rebuilding everything.
>
> The answer may be that I have a system configuration that
> makes the hydra binaries not good for my system, but that
> is just a guess...
>
> Is there a guix command to know for sure that system
> configuration is not compatible with hydra binaries ?

Changing the system configuration should not cause changes to package
definitions, so you should be using the same packages that are provided
by Hydra.

I'm not sure where what the problem could be. Can you give some details
about your set-up?

Guix or GuixSD? What version of Guix (`guix --version)? Are you trying
to use modified versions of any packages? Is Hydra's key in
'/etc/guix/acl'? Can you reach the Hydra mirror at
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org?

And, please share any other information that you think might be
relevant.

* Re: Why are there no binary available
@ 2016-08-23  9:01   ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-08-23  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:18:13PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand why are there no binaries available
>> for my system and I'm rebuilding everything.
>>
>> The answer may be that I have a system configuration that
>> makes the hydra binaries not good for my system, but that
>> is just a guess...
>>
>> Is there a guix command to know for sure that system
>> configuration is not compatible with hydra binaries ?
>
> Changing the system configuration should not cause changes to package
> definitions, so you should be using the same packages that are provided
> by Hydra.
>
> I'm not sure where what the problem could be. Can you give some details
> about your set-up?
>
> Guix or GuixSD?

GuixSD in a qemu VM x86_64

> What version of Guix (`guix --version)?

$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 20160823.08

> Are you trying to use modified versions of any packages?

Not with root account, nor with guix system reconfigure, just the
following in /etc/config.scm
(based on bare-bones.scm) :

(bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/vda")
;                                  (theme (grub-theme))
))

(packages (cons libinput-minimal (lset-difference eqv? %base-packages
'(libinput avahi bluez))))

I had the impression (not sure it was not related to something else)
that when I uncommented
the grub theme config line, I got to rebuild a lot of things, even if
I did not do a guix pull in
between... But maybe I was wrong, so my question above...

> Is Hydra's key in '/etc/guix/acl'?

(acl
 (entry
  (public-key
   (rsa
    (n #00DB1634E3D9DFAC97AE4734DAE968CCB1[...]FEE551A3C447C12E104E65#)
    (e #010001#)
    )
   )
  (tag
   (guix import)
   )
  )
 )

> Can you reach the Hydra mirror at
> https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org?

it pings OK, I can "wget --no-check-certificate" the index.html file

> And, please share any other information that you think might be
> relevant.

I don't think there's anything else...

WDYT ?

--

@ 2016-08-30 12:12     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-08-30 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:18:13PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
>>> I'm trying to understand why are there no binaries available
>>> for my system and I'm rebuilding everything.
>>>
>>> The answer may be that I have a system configuration that
>>> makes the hydra binaries not good for my system, but that
>>> is just a guess...
>>>
>>> Is there a guix command to know for sure that system
>>> configuration is not compatible with hydra binaries ?
>>
>> Changing the system configuration should not cause changes to package
>> definitions, so you should be using the same packages that are provided
>> by Hydra.
>>
>> I'm not sure where what the problem could be. Can you give some details
>> about your set-up?
>>
>> Guix or GuixSD?
>
> GuixSD in a qemu VM x86_64
>
>> What version of Guix (`guix --version)?
>
> $ guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) 20160823.08
>
>> Are you trying to use modified versions of any packages?
>
> Not with root account, nor with guix system reconfigure, just the
> following in /etc/config.scm
> (based on bare-bones.scm) :
>
> (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/vda")
> ;                                  (theme (grub-theme))
> ))
>
> (packages (cons libinput-minimal (lset-difference eqv? %base-packages
> '(libinput avahi bluez))))

The (lset-difference …) expression above is equal to ‘%base-packages’,
because the third argument is a list of symbols whereas the second one
is a list a packages (so these two sets are disjoint).

You probably meant:

        (lset-difference eq? %base-packages
                         (list libinput avahi bluez))

I don’t know the answer to your initial question though.

Ludo’.

* Re: Why are there no binary available
@ 2016-08-30 12:25       ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-08-30 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

> The (lset-difference …) expression above is equal to ‘%base-packages’,
> because the third argument is a list of symbols whereas the second one
> is a list a packages (so these two sets are disjoint).
>
> You probably meant:
>
>         (lset-difference eq? %base-packages
>                          (list libinput avahi bluez))

Thanks a lot, I couldn't have found this myself (my eyes are still not
accustomed enough with scheme for that)...

> I don’t know the answer to your initial question though.

That was probably a configuration glitch that I inadvertently fixed in the
mean time, as it is not happening any more...

--
Vincent Legoll