all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#70302: Tor daemon is unable to use obfuscation
@ 2024-04-09  9:55 nigko
From: nigko @ 2024-04-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70302

Hello Guix!

I am trying to configure tor daemon to use traffic obfuscation by the
following lines in my system configuration

(service tor-service-type
	(tor-configuration
	   (plain-file "torrc"
"
UseBridges 1
ClientTransportPlugin obfs4 exec /path/to/obfuscator/binary

Bridge obfs4 ......
Bridge obfs4 ......
")))

where /path/to/obfuscator/binary corresponds to an obfs4 obfuscator.
There are a few of them in the guix repo, see e.g.
go-gitlab-torproject-org-tpo-anti-censorship-pluggable-transports-lyrebird
or go-github-com-operatorfoundation-obfs4 packages. The obfuscator is
also installed in the system profile. Bridges are gotten from the
official site https://bridges.torproject.org/.

This torrc configuration works perfectly on guix when tor run at user
level by command '$ tor -f path/to/torrc' and '# netstat -tupan' shows
obfuscator process is listening on 127.0.0.1:[some random port].

However, when tor run as system daemon, there are no obfuscator process
listening and tor is unusable.

Perhaps this issue is related to https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57222.
I have tried to revert commit fb868cd7794f15e21298e5bdea996fbf0dad17ca
on recent guix checkout and then to perform 'guix pull
--url=/path/to/my/local/guix/repo --disable-authentication'. It worked
fined. But when performing 'sudo guix system reconfigure
/path/to/system/configuration' I got an error
'make-forkexec-constructor/container: unbound variable'

Regards,
Nigko Yerden

* bug#70302: Tor daemon is unable to use obfuscation
@ 2024-06-19 21:52 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2024-06-19 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70302, 70332, nigko

I think the two issues are related, and the second one may have been
created by typoing the issue number

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70302
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70332

WDYT ?

--
Vincent Legoll

* bug#70302: Tor daemon is unable to use obfuscation
@ 2024-06-20  4:49   ` Nigko Yerden
From: Nigko Yerden @ 2024-06-20  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll, 70302, 70332

Hi Vincent,

Indeed, they are related. My message from 70332 was intended
to go to 70302 and didn't get there by my mistake, thus creating
new issue 70332.

Regards,
Nigko

@ 2024-06-20 15:30     ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2024-06-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigko Yerden; +Cc: 70332, 70302

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 4:49 AM Nigko Yerden <nigko.yerden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed, they are related. My message from 70332 was intended
> to go to 70302 and didn't get there by my mistake, thus creating
> new issue 70332.

Thanks for the explanation

You said in 70332 that you found the issue, so does something still
need fixing ?

Regards

--
Vincent Legoll

* bug#70302: Tor daemon is unable to use obfuscation
@ 2024-06-20 16:11       ` Nigko Yerden
From: Nigko Yerden @ 2024-06-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: 70332, 70302

Yes, the issue still need fixing.
Here is my suggestion https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70341

Regards,
Nigko

Vincent Legoll wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 4:49 AM Nigko Yerden <nigko.yerden@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Indeed, they are related. My message from 70332 was intended
>> to go to 70302 and didn't get there by my mistake, thus creating
>> new issue 70332.
>
> Thanks for the explanation
>
> You said in 70332 that you found the issue, so does something still
> need fixing ?
>
> Regards

* [bug#70341] Tor daemon is unable to use obfuscation
@ 2024-06-20 16:31         ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2024-06-20 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigko Yerden; +Cc: 70332, 70302, 70341

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 4:11 PM Nigko Yerden <nigko.yerden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the issue still need fixing.
> Here is my suggestion https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70341

Thanks, and now all these issues are linked together so we
won't forget to close them at once, if appropriate.

--
Vincent Legoll