all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Running an MTA (Exim) on GuixSD
@ 2015-11-19  9:28 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2015-11-19  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm using GuixSD 0.9.0. It seems the only Mail Tranfer Agent (MTA) packaged
so far is Exim. However,  simply installing it doesn't seem to enable the
sending of email (e.g., via 'git send-email'). I'd like to run Exim as a
daemon on system start-up so that I can send email from within GuixSD. Has
anyone already made a service configuration for Exim in GuixSD? Is anyone
currently using Exim on GuixSD as an MTA at all?

If not, I'd be interested in helping to make it happen. I'm just not
familiar with running Exim or writing service configurations for GuixSD, so
some pointers on how to start would be very welcome! I can probably figure
the rest out as I go.

Thank you,
Chris Marusich

* Re: Running an MTA (Exim) on GuixSD
@ 2015-11-19  9:55 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2015-11-19  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu 19 Nov 2015 09:28, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using GuixSD 0.9.0. It seems the only Mail Tranfer Agent (MTA)
> packaged so far is Exim. However, simply installing it doesn't seem to
> enable the sending of email (e.g., via 'git send-email'). I'd like to
> run Exim as a daemon on system start-up so that I can send email from
> within GuixSD. Has anyone already made a service configuration for Exim
> in GuixSD? Is anyone currently using Exim on GuixSD as an MTA at all?
>
> If not, I'd be interested in helping to make it happen. I'm just not
> familiar with running Exim or writing service configurations for GuixSD,
> so some pointers on how to start would be very welcome! I can probably
> figure the rest out as I go.

It would be great to have more services and a proper MTA!

Not to distract you from that but there is a relay-only MTA in Guix:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-11/msg00081.html

But a full Exim setup would be great :)

Andy

* Re: Running an MTA (Exim) on GuixSD
@ 2015-11-19 19:41 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-11-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using GuixSD 0.9.0. It seems the only Mail Tranfer Agent (MTA)
> packaged so far is Exim. However, simply installing it doesn't seem to
> enable the sending of email (e.g., via 'git send-email'). I'd like to
> run Exim as a daemon on system start-up so that I can send email from
> within GuixSD. Has anyone already made a service configuration for
> Exim in GuixSD? Is anyone currently using Exim on GuixSD as an MTA at
> all?

Not that I know of, but it would be good to have.

> If not, I'd be interested in helping to make it happen.

That would be great :)

> I'm just not familiar with running Exim or writing service
> configurations for GuixSD, so some pointers on how to start would be
> very welcome! I can probably figure the rest out as I go.

Section 7.2.14 (Defining Services) in the Guix manual is the relevant
reference.

I guess the two existing services that are most similar to what would be
needed for an exim-service are 'nginx-service' in gnu/services/web.scm
and 'postgresql-service' in gnu/services/databases.scm, so I would look
there for inspiration.

Feel free to ask more questions as they arise.

     Thanks!
       Mark

* Re: Running an MTA (Exim) on GuixSD
@ 2015-11-21 21:36   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2015-11-21 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Mark and Andy,

Thank you for the quick response. I'll take a look at the information
you've shared. It'd be nice to be able to do my email from within
GuixSD!

Thank you,
Chris