Ok, I just made a branch, basically only changing that single line in java.scm. It's base on current core-updates. You can clone from: https://github.com/Boskovits/guix.git branch: change-default-icedtea-8. How do we know where you need further assistance with that? As first step it is not needed to remove #:jdk icedtea-8 references, because I think that simply becomes a noop. Am I right here? That can be done as the last step before merging, I guess. 2017-11-24 11:15 GMT+01:00 Ricardo Wurmus : > > Hi Gábor, > > > I guess we could just flip that to icedtea-8, and check what still works. > > That would flip the version in the build system also, as it uses > "icedtea". > > Exactly. The call for help is really about dealing with the fallout > from this change. I’ve attempted this some time ago when we still had > a much smaller set of Java packages, but it’s too much to check all of > the packages by myself. > > > Should I check which packages are affected in advance, or just go with > the > > build and see what does not work? > > For some packages it’s feasible to do this immediately before pushing. > It’s also good to review the weird hacks that were sometimes necessary, > and check if they are still needed. > > We also need to confirm that the generated build.xml files have the > appropriate “source” and “target” version specifiers. > > But mostly we can just change the default “icedtea” and remove “#:jdk > ,icedtea-8” from all packages. I’d like to avoid having to add “#:jdk > ,icedtea-7” to any of the packages; finding fixes would be preferrable. > > -- > Ricardo > > GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6 2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC > https://elephly.net > > >