2018-01-17 16:47 GMT+01:00 Ricardo Wurmus : > > Ludovic Courtès writes: > > > Gábor Boskovits skribis: > > > >> I believe, that we could make a powerful extension to guixsd if we > could do > >> an installation from an installation description. > >> > >> I think this installation description should look like the > operating-system description we > >> already have. > > > > In what way would it defer? :-) > > > > ‘operating-system’ *is* an “installation description.” > > I guess it would differ from what we have currently in that it would > also specify partitioning information, which is not handled by > “operating-system”. > > Does it make sense to extend “operating-system” such that disk > partitioning information could be included and (*holds breath*) acted > upon automatically? > > Acting on partitioning info is a little scary because it can easily lead > to data loss upon reconfiguration. Small bugs could lead to very big > problems, so maybe this should not be default behaviour. > > Yes, partitioning information is one of the primary missing point for me. I don't think that it should be default behaviour either. Another thing that could be useful is secret provisioning in some form. I am thinking of this as a base of a bare-metal provisioning framework. We could get some ideas, what else the other tools are doing. I guess I've also read something about guix deploy. What is the current status of that? One more thing: lvm really seems not to map well onto the current set of storage primitives. I guess that lvm support could be added more cleanly with this kind of mapping: Partition -> PV Mapped device of PVs -> volume group Partition of volume group -> LV -- > Ricardo > > GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6 2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC > https://elephly.net > > >