2018-01-20 8:50 GMT+01:00 Chris Marusich : > Leo Famulari writes: > > > On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:35:34PM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote: > >> Even though we added some inputs, there appear to be no retained > >> references in the output, as shown by this command: > >> > >> guix gc --referrers $(./pre-inst-env guix build java-asm) > > > > To check the retained references in the output [0], it's actually `guix > > gc --references $(./pre-inst-env guix build ...)`. > > > > [0] To clarify "retained references", they are literally occurences of > > strings that begin with '/gnu/store/', then a Guix hash, then a hyphen, > > and then a package name. > > You're right; this was a "thinko" on my part. I meant to write > "--references" instead of "--referrers". The output of the correct > command is still empty, so there are still no references. > > Ricardo Wurmus writes: > > > Chris Marusich writes: > > > >> If the new input is also required at runtime, then I'm not sure this > >> package definition is correct. I would normally expect a "runtime > >> dependency" to be either retained as a reference in the output, or > >> declared as a propagated-input (so that it gets installed alongside this > >> package when this package is installed into a profile). Perhaps I am > >> missing some information here. > >> > >> I'm hoping Ricardo can comment on how this is intended to work for Java > >> packages, since he originally added the ant-build-system. > > > > The jars that the ant-build-system generates are uncompressed and thus > > allow the scanner to find embedded store references. The problem seems > > to be that references to other *jars* are not kept, because they are > > never recorded anywhere. That’s normal for Java, which looks for named > > classes on the classpath, i.e. a list of jars. It behaves very much > > like Python and its PYTHONPATH in this regard. > > > > The best we can do here is to propagate inputs. The alternative is to > > try to be smart and record the effective runtime classpath, but that’s > > hard/impossible to get right. > > OK - thank you for the explanation! In light of that information, I > think that in the case of a package that uses the ant-build-system (like > java-asm), if we know for sure that an input is required at runtime, we > should make it a propagated input. The installed software still won't > work without additional work on the part of the user (e.g., the user > needs to set the CLASSPATH when invoking java, or use java's -cp > option), but for now at least making the input a propagated input will > ensure that it gets installed alongside the package which at runtime > requires it, which is better than nothing. > > Here's an updated patch that makes this change. In addition, I > discovered that (1) the build succeeds and produces the same JAR file > even when I removed java-aqute-libg as an input, so I've removed that, > and (2) the build succeeds and produces the same JAR file even when I > use a dummy value for the biz.aQute.bnd.path Ant property, so I did that > to make it clear that it wasn't important to the build. What do you > think? > > I think this is ok. I also noticed, that a dummy value would do, but I had no policy at hand about what to do in this case. Actually I am not sure, that bnd is used runtime. How could we check that? > -- > Chris >