We had a discussion about that on the irc channel, and it seems, that we can make a boostrap path to another architecture by using a bootstrapped toolchain and cross compiling. It is not very confortable, but I think we can extend the list of bootstrappable software considerably by that. 2017-11-20 19:48 GMT+01:00 Jan Nieuwenhuizen : > Ludovic Courtès writes: > > Hey Ludo' > > > Also, AIUI, stage0 is i386-specific. Thoughts on how we can eventually > > support the other architectures Guix works on? > > I goofed ere. Stage0 is mainly using a VM and it has a x86_64 > prototype; no x86 yet. Of course, creating the x86 hex0 is almost > trivial given that 64 bit has been done. > > However, the main problem is the gap between hex0 and hex1, hex2. We > just ignored this by prototyping hex2 and M2 in C. hex2 and M2 are > architecture agnostic. > > MesCC currently outputs M2, but only for x86. I'm confident that if we > show that x86 works and if we consider it to be of value, then x86_64 is > just more work. Other architectures...well, "just" more work ;-) > > > Thank you, and congrats on this milestone! > > Thanks! > janneke > > -- > Jan Nieuwenhuizen | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org > Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com > >