Hello! I just run a quick grep to see which files might be interesting. We use ant-build-system in: axoloti.scm * bioinformatics.scm * compression.scm * icu4c.scm java.scm * libusb.scm * music.scm * textutlis.scm uml.scm * version-control.scm * web.scm * xml.scm Only the ant-build system uses icedtea among build systems. Icedtea is explicitly metioned in the ones maked with *, and: kodi.scm math.scm ruby.scm We have a definition in place where currently icedtea is defined to be icedtea-7. I guess we could just flip that to icedtea-8, and check what still works. That would flip the version in the build system also, as it uses "icedtea". Should I check which packages are affected in advance, or just go with the build and see what does not work? 2017-11-22 18:03 GMT+01:00 Chris Marusich : > Ricardo Wurmus writes: > > > Chris Marusich writes: > > > >> Ricardo Wurmus writes: > >> > >>> Hi Guix, > >>> > >>> some of our Java packages now only build with icedtea-8. To avoid > >>> incompatibilities we should make icedtea-8 the default and make sure > >>> that all packages still build with that version. > >>> > >>> Who would like to help with this? We can do this in a separate branch > >>> and build it on berlin.guixsd.org. > > […] > >> > >> I'd like to help with this. Do we just need to update various java > >> package definitions to use the most recent icedtea-8, and debug any > >> issues that might arise? Or did you mean something else? > > > > Yes, that’s pretty much it. I remember that some of the early Java > > packages I added could not be built with icedtea-8. In those cases it > > may be sufficient to set the compiler source version to 1.7 while still > > using icedtea-8. > > > > I’d be happy if you could give this a try in a new branch. Once we have > > a branch we can build I’ll update the Cuirass specs on berlin.guixsd.org > > to build the Java packages and their dependencies from the new branch. > > Let’s base this on core-updates. > > OK, I'll find some time to work on this in the coming days. I'll send > you an update by the end of this month at the latest. > > -- > Chris >