all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-08 16:24 Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2017-02-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-Guix

Firstly, I'm an aspiring programmer/hacker and I've gone straight into the
deep end with trying to learn GNU/Linux, Emacs etc. I'm also new to Guix
and this community so excuse my ignorance.

I've installed Guix as a package manager on the Trisquel 7 distribution of
GNU/Linux running on a (Minifree) Libreboot X60s. I believe it was
successful. Hoping to transition to GuixSD at some point and would be
grateful to hear if others have had success with this. Anyway,...

I proceeded to install Emacs, Geiser, Magit (subsequently removed), the
Source Code Pro (SCP) font, GNU Stow, Git for now and for which I have a
number of perhaps trivial queries. A limited search on the list archives
turned up nothing so forgive me if these queries have been covered
elsewhere.

(1) When I installed magit, v2.8.0 was installed instead of the v2.10.1
listed on hydra. Is this a bug or an error on my part?

(2) In terms of Emacs, do fellow Guix users install all packages via Guix
instead of the traditional ELPA, MELPA route. I suspect they do as I guess
that is the point. But I ask for advice as my 'pre-guix' emacs config makes
heavy use of the use-package macro installing all third party packages to
~/.emacs.d/elpa . I guess I could add the 'guix-emacs' site-lisp directory
for each guix installed package to the load-path specifying this in each
specific use-package package declaration. Is that what others do?

(3) Before installing Guix I used SCP as my font for Emacs. However,
following the installation of SCP via Guix some unicode glyphs are not
rendered correctly as they were before. Note, I did a fresh install of my
*foreign* distro before installing Guix and did not re-install SCP on it.
Is there further steps I need to perform to have these unicode glyphs
rendered correctly?

(4) I wish to manage my dotfiles with GNU stow. Traditionally, I understand
people create a dotfiles directory say under $HOME and create the various
subdirectories in this directory from which the symlinks are produced. Is
this approach still the same with GNU stow installed via Guix or is the
'stow' directory created elsewhere?

Regards,

doolio

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-08 20:51 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-02-08 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

Niall Dooley (2017-02-08 17:24 +0100) wrote:

> Firstly, I'm an aspiring programmer/hacker and I've gone straight
> into the deep end with trying to learn GNU/Linux, Emacs etc. I'm also
> new to Guix and this community so excuse my ignorance.

Hello and welcome!

> I've installed Guix as a package manager on the Trisquel 7
> distribution of GNU/Linux running on a (Minifree) Libreboot X60s. I
> believe it was successful. Hoping to transition to GuixSD at some
> point and would be grateful to hear if others have had success with
> this. Anyway,...
>
> I proceeded to install Emacs, Geiser, Magit (subsequently removed),
> the Source Code Pro (SCP) font, GNU Stow, Git for now and for which I
> have a number of perhaps trivial queries. A limited search on the
> list archives turned up nothing so forgive me if these queries have
> been covered elsewhere.

No problem, this mailing list was created for such questions.

> (1) When I installed magit, v2.8.0 was installed instead of the
> v2.10.1 listed on hydra. Is this a bug or an error on my part?

You probably didn't run "guix pull", so you installed the old magit (and
you will continue to install the old packages until you run "guix pull").

> (2) In terms of Emacs, do fellow Guix users install all packages via
> Guix instead of the traditional ELPA, MELPA route. I suspect they do
> as I guess that is the point.

Well, I don't, because currently Guix does not have all the emacs
packages I use (but it's my fault that I didn't package them :-)), so I
use some packages from Guix and some from… other places.

> But I ask for advice as my 'pre-guix'
> emacs config makes heavy use of the use-package macro installing all
> third party packages to ~/.emacs.d/elpa . I guess I could add the
> 'guix-emacs' site-lisp directory for each guix installed package to
> the load-path specifying this in each specific use-package package
> declaration. Is that what others do?

No, if you use Emacs from Guix ("guix package -i emacs"), you will not
have to add all those site-lisp directories as Guix's Emacs is patched
to find and autoload the packages there automatically.

I think use-package is completely unrelated to this question.  It's not
"use-package" that installs into "~/.emacs.d/elpa", it's an in-built
Emacs package system (aka "package.el"), "use-package" does not perform
any installation by itself.  You can still use Emacs from Guix and use
"use-package" from MELPA if that's your concern.  You don't need to
adjust your emacs config for Guix at all.

> (3) Before installing Guix I used SCP as my font for Emacs. However,
> following the installation of SCP via Guix some unicode glyphs are
> not rendered correctly as they were before. Note, I did a fresh
> install of my foreign distro before installing Guix and did not
> re-install SCP on it. Is there further steps I need to perform to
> have these unicode glyphs rendered correctly?

What unicode symbols are not displayed correctly for you?  If I
understood correctly, SCP is a font and you installed it with Guix,
right?  What name does this (SCP) package have in Guix?

> (4) I wish to manage my dotfiles with GNU stow. Traditionally, I
> understand people create a dotfiles directory say under $HOME and
> create the various subdirectories in this directory from which the
> symlinks are produced. Is this approach still the same with GNU stow
> installed via Guix or is the 'stow' directory created elsewhere?

I know nothing about 'stow', but it should behave the same as on any
other system.

--
Alex

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-08 21:47 ` Carlo Zancanaro
From: Carlo Zancanaro @ 2017-02-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

On Wed, Feb 08 2017, Niall Dooley wrote
> (2) In terms of Emacs, do fellow Guix users install all packages via Guix
> instead of the traditional ELPA, MELPA route. I suspect they do as I guess
> that is the point. But I ask for advice as my 'pre-guix' emacs config makes
> heavy use of the use-package macro installing all third party packages to
> ~/.emacs.d/elpa . I guess I could add the 'guix-emacs' site-lisp directory
> for each guix installed package to the load-path specifying this in each
> specific use-package package declaration. Is that what others do?

I install all of my Emacs packages via Guix, but in an usual way. I have
written a script which takes in a list of Emacs packages that I want to
install, then uses the Elpa importer to generate a Guix package (the
scheme data structure) which I can build using `guix package -f`. Each
time I run the script it pulls the most recent version on Melpa, so it's
not reproducible, but I get the ability to use Guix for roll-backs (and
in theory I think I could archive my configuration and import it on
another machine, but I haven't tried that).

The biggest advantage to me is actually that I can look at the source of
one of my installed Emacs packages without having to worry that I'll
accidentally modify my installed version. This is what motivated me to
use my current method (as ridiculous as that sounds).

I have attached my script. It won't run on a normal Guix installation
because it uses symbols from (guix import elpa) which are not exported,
but on my machine I have exported more things from (guix import elpa) in
order to use them in my script. I've been meaning to submit a patch for
this, but I haven't yet done so.

[-- Attachment #1.2: emacs-configuration.scm --]

;; -*- mode: scheme; geiser-scheme-implementation: guile -*-
;; run this with "guix package -f" to install the emacs configuration

(use-modules (gnu packages emacs)
             (guix base32)
             (guix build-system emacs)
             (guix build-system trivial)
             (guix download)
             (guix hash)
             (guix http-client)
             (guix import elpa)
             (guix import elpa)
             (guix packages)
             (gnu packages)
             (guix store)
             (ice-9 match)
             (ice-9 pretty-print)
             (srfi srfi-26))

(define packages
  '(org
    undo-tree
    ;; other packages go here
    ))

(define (resolve-dependencies names cache)
  (filter (compose not (cut eq? <> #f) cadr)
          (map (lambda (name)
                 (list (elpa-name->package-name name)
                       (elpa-name->package name cache)))
               names)))

(define (elpa-package->package pkg pkg-cache)
  "Turn an elpa package into an actual package."
  (match pkg
    (($ <elpa-package> name version inputs synopsis kind home-page description source-url)
     (package
       (name (elpa-name->package-name name))
       (version version)
       (source (origin
                 (method url-fetch)
                 (uri source-url)
                 (sha256
                  (base32
                   (bytevector->nix-base32-string
                    (file-sha256
                     (with-store store
                       (download-to-store store source-url))))))))
       (build-system emacs-build-system)
       (propagated-inputs
        (resolve-dependencies
         (elpa-dependencies->names inputs)
         pkg-cache))
       (home-page home-page)
       (synopsis synopsis)
       (description description)
       (license #f)))))

(define (fetch-pkg name)
  (or (fetch-elpa-package name 'melpa)
      (fetch-elpa-package name 'melpa-stable)
      (fetch-elpa-package name 'gnu)))

(define (elpa-name->package name pkg-cache)
  (or (match (append (find-packages-by-name (elpa-name->package-name name))
                     ;; some things don't have "emacs-" prepended, for
                     ;; some reason (eg. magit)
                     (find-packages-by-name name))
        [(package . _) package]
        [_ #f])
      (hash-ref pkg-cache name #f)
      (let ((package (elpa-package->package (fetch-pkg name) pkg-cache)))
        (cond
         (package
           (hash-set! pkg-cache name package)
           package)
         ((emacs-standard-library? name)
          #f)
         (else
          (error "Can't download library: " name))))))

(let ((cache (make-hash-table))
      (dependencies (map symbol->string packages)))
  (package
    (name "emacs-configuration")
    (version "0.0.0")
    (source #f)
    (build-system trivial-build-system)
    (arguments `(#:builder (mkdir %output)))
    (propagated-inputs
     (resolve-dependencies dependencies cache))
    (synopsis "")
    (description "")
    (license #f)
    (home-page "")))

> (3) Before installing Guix I used SCP as my font for Emacs. However,
> following the installation of SCP via Guix some unicode glyphs are not
> rendered correctly as they were before. Note, I did a fresh install of my
> *foreign* distro before installing Guix and did not re-install SCP on it.
> Is there further steps I need to perform to have these unicode glyphs
> rendered correctly?

I had an issue where my font didn't render unicode glyphs in Emacs. I
was using font-dejavu and I had to also install font-gnu-unifont to get
unicode things to render.

> (4) I wish to manage my dotfiles with GNU stow. Traditionally, I understand
> people create a dotfiles directory say under $HOME and create the various
> subdirectories in this directory from which the symlinks are produced. Is
> this approach still the same with GNU stow installed via Guix or is the
> 'stow' directory created elsewhere?

I use Stow to manage my dotfiles and my workflow under Guix is exactly
the same as it was in debian.

I hope that helps!

Carlo

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-09 10:00   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-02-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Zancanaro; +Cc: Help-Guix

Hello!

Carlo Zancanaro <carlo@zancanaro.id.au> skribis:

> I install all of my Emacs packages via Guix, but in an usual way. I have
> written a script which takes in a list of Emacs packages that I want to
> install, then uses the Elpa importer to generate a Guix package (the
> scheme data structure) which I can build using `guix package -f`. Each
> time I run the script it pulls the most recent version on Melpa, so it's
> not reproducible, but I get the ability to use Guix for roll-backs (and
> in theory I think I could archive my configuration and import it on
> another machine, but I haven't tried that).

It has pros and cons as you write, but I think it’s a neat hack!

I’ve been thinking we should have a way to hook importers and updaters
directly to the command-line interface to facilitate this kind of
experimentation.  Say:

  guix package --importer=elpa -i something

which would import ‘something’ and its dependencies on the fly.

Ludo’.

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-09 21:36   ` Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2017-02-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: Help-Guix

On 8 February 2017 at 21:51, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:

> Niall Dooley (2017-02-08 17:24 +0100) wrote:
>
> > Firstly, I'm an aspiring programmer/hacker and I've gone straight
> > into the deep end with trying to learn GNU/Linux, Emacs etc. I'm also
> > new to Guix and this community so excuse my ignorance.
>
> Hello and welcome!

Thank you.

> > I've installed Guix as a package manager on the Trisquel 7
> > distribution of GNU/Linux running on a (Minifree) Libreboot X60s. I
> > believe it was successful. Hoping to transition to GuixSD at some
> > point and would be grateful to hear if others have had success with
> > this. Anyway,...
> >
> > I proceeded to install Emacs, Geiser, Magit (subsequently removed),
> > the Source Code Pro (SCP) font, GNU Stow, Git for now and for which I
> > have a number of perhaps trivial queries. A limited search on the
> > list archives turned up nothing so forgive me if these queries have
> > been covered elsewhere.
>
> No problem, this mailing list was created for such questions.
>
> > (1) When I installed magit, v2.8.0 was installed instead of the
> > v2.10.1 listed on hydra. Is this a bug or an error on my part?
>
> You probably didn't run "guix pull", so you installed the old magit (and
> you will continue to install the old packages until you run "guix pull").

I see but how often does one need to run 'guix pull' to ensure they install
the latest available packages. Running it now installs guix as explained in
the manual but it doesn't explain how often one needs to run it.

> > (2) In terms of Emacs, do fellow Guix users install all packages via
> > Guix instead of the traditional ELPA, MELPA route. I suspect they do
> > as I guess that is the point.
>
> Well, I don't, because currently Guix does not have all the emacs
> packages I use (but it's my fault that I didn't package them :-)), so I
> use some packages from Guix and some from… other places.

This will be true for me too. It's also an area I thought I could help with
in the future.

> > But I ask for advice as my 'pre-guix'
> > emacs config makes heavy use of the use-package macro installing all
> > third party packages to ~/.emacs.d/elpa . I guess I could add the
> > 'guix-emacs' site-lisp directory for each guix installed package to
> > the load-path specifying this in each specific use-package package
> > declaration. Is that what others do?
>
> No, if you use Emacs from Guix ("guix package -i emacs"), you will not
> have to add all those site-lisp directories as Guix's Emacs is patched
> to find and autoload the packages there automatically.

Ok, that should simplify things.

> I think use-package is completely unrelated to this question.  It's not
> "use-package" that installs into "~/.emacs.d/elpa", it's an in-built
> Emacs package system (aka "package.el"), "use-package" does not perform
> any installation by itself.

Yes, you're right and what I wanted to say.

> You can still use Emacs from Guix and use "use-package" from MELPA
> if that's your concern.  You don't need to adjust your emacs config for Guix
> at all.

This is good to hear.

> > (3) Before installing Guix I used SCP as my font for Emacs. However,
> > following the installation of SCP via Guix some unicode glyphs are
> > not rendered correctly as they were before. Note, I did a fresh
> > install of my foreign distro before installing Guix and did not
> > re-install SCP on it. Is there further steps I need to perform to
> > have these unicode glyphs rendered correctly?
>
> What unicode symbols are not displayed correctly for you?  If I
> understood correctly, SCP is a font and you installed it with Guix,
> right?  What name does this (SCP) package have in Guix?

Yes, sorry SCP := Source Code Pro, and yes I've installed it via Guix using
Guix package name font-adobe-source-code-pro. Examples of unicode
characters which were displaying correctly before but not now include:
U+232B, U+2326, U+23CE. Reading about this subject some more
these characters may not in fact be available in SCP but were rather supplied
by another available font. It seems Emacs maintains font mappings on
a per-glyph basis, meaning that multiple fonts are used at the same time
(transparently) to display any character for which you have a font
(source: https://github.com/rolandwalker/unicode-fonts). So I guess before
there was other fonts available to Emacs that I didn't necessarily configure.

@ 2017-02-09 21:41   ` Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2017-02-09 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Zancanaro; +Cc: Help-Guix

On 8 February 2017 at 22:47, Carlo Zancanaro <carlo@zancanaro.id.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08 2017, Niall Dooley wrote
>> (2) In terms of Emacs, do fellow Guix users install all packages via Guix
>> instead of the traditional ELPA, MELPA route. I suspect they do as I guess
>> that is the point. But I ask for advice as my 'pre-guix' emacs config makes
>> heavy use of the use-package macro installing all third party packages to
>> ~/.emacs.d/elpa . I guess I could add the 'guix-emacs' site-lisp directory
>> for each guix installed package to the load-path specifying this in each
>> specific use-package package declaration. Is that what others do?
>
> I install all of my Emacs packages via Guix, but in an usual way. I have
> written a script which takes in a list of Emacs packages that I want to
> install, then uses the Elpa importer to generate a Guix package (the
> scheme data structure) which I can build using `guix package -f`. Each
> time I run the script it pulls the most recent version on Melpa, so it's
> not reproducible, but I get the ability to use Guix for roll-backs (and
> in theory I think I could archive my configuration and import it on
> another machine, but I haven't tried that).
>
> The biggest advantage to me is actually that I can look at the source of
> one of my installed Emacs packages without having to worry that I'll
> accidentally modify my installed version. This is what motivated me to
> use my current method (as ridiculous as that sounds).
>
> I have attached my script. It won't run on a normal Guix installation
> because it uses symbols from (guix import elpa) which are not exported,
> but on my machine I have exported more things from (guix import elpa) in
> order to use them in my script. I've been meaning to submit a patch for
> this, but I haven't yet done so.

Thank you, this looks very interesting.

>> (3) Before installing Guix I used SCP as my font for Emacs. However,
>> following the installation of SCP via Guix some unicode glyphs are not
>> rendered correctly as they were before. Note, I did a fresh install of my
>> *foreign* distro before installing Guix and did not re-install SCP on it.
>> Is there further steps I need to perform to have these unicode glyphs
>> rendered correctly?
>
> I had an issue where my font didn't render unicode glyphs in Emacs. I
> was using font-dejavu and I had to also install font-gnu-unifont to get
> unicode things to render.

Ok, I'll give that a try thanks.

>> (4) I wish to manage my dotfiles with GNU stow. Traditionally, I understand
>> people create a dotfiles directory say under $HOME and create the various
>> subdirectories in this directory from which the symlinks are produced. Is
>> this approach still the same with GNU stow installed via Guix or is the
>> 'stow' directory created elsewhere?
>
> I use Stow to manage my dotfiles and my workflow under Guix is exactly
> the same as it was in debian.

Perfect.

> I hope that helps!

It certainly does.

Niall

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-10  8:55     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-02-10  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

Niall Dooley (2017-02-09 22:36 +0100) wrote:

> On 8 February 2017 at 21:51, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> > (1) When I installed magit, v2.8.0 was installed instead of the
>> > v2.10.1 listed on hydra. Is this a bug or an error on my part?
>>
>> You probably didn't run "guix pull", so you installed the old magit (and
>> you will continue to install the old packages until you run "guix pull").
>
> I see but how often does one need to run 'guix pull' to ensure they install
> the latest available packages. Running it now installs guix as explained in
> the manual but it doesn't explain how often one needs to run it.

I don't know, it's up to you to decide how often :-)
"guix pull" just fetches and builds the latest Guix git snapshot, and as
you can guess Guix git tree is updated all the time.  Someone does "guix
pull" daily, someone weekly.  As for me, I'm not fancy of frequent
updates, sometimes I don't update packages for months (but it's not a
good practice).

[...]
>> > (3) Before installing Guix I used SCP as my font for Emacs. However,
>> > following the installation of SCP via Guix some unicode glyphs are
>> > not rendered correctly as they were before. Note, I did a fresh
>> > install of my foreign distro before installing Guix and did not
>> > re-install SCP on it. Is there further steps I need to perform to
>> > have these unicode glyphs rendered correctly?
>>
>> What unicode symbols are not displayed correctly for you?  If I
>> understood correctly, SCP is a font and you installed it with Guix,
>> right?  What name does this (SCP) package have in Guix?
>
> Yes, sorry SCP := Source Code Pro, and yes I've installed it via Guix using
> Guix package name font-adobe-source-code-pro. Examples of unicode
> characters which were displaying correctly before but not now include:
> U+232B, U+2326, U+23CE. Reading about this subject some more
> these characters may not in fact be available in SCP but were rather supplied
> by another available font.

Yeah, I think these chars are not supported by this font.  Emacs
displays U+232B and U+2326 with "Symbola" font for me, and U+23CE is
unrecognized (Symbola and any other font I have do not support it).

BTW Symbola package can't be a part of Guix due to a really stupid
license problem.  If you are interested, I have a Guix package for this
font here:

  https://github.com/alezost/guix-config/blob/master/packages/fonts.scm

> It seems Emacs maintains font mappings on
> a per-glyph basis, meaning that multiple fonts are used at the same time
> (transparently) to display any character for which you have a font
> (source: https://github.com/rolandwalker/unicode-fonts). So I guess before
> there was other fonts available to Emacs that I didn't necessarily configure.

I think this is case, and I know that Emacs tries to use "Symbola" font
for many ranges of chars including (#x2322 . #x23FF) as you can see with
"M-x find-library fontset" (search for "Symbola" there).

--
Alex

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-10 12:14     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-10 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Alex Kost, Help-Guix

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:36:54PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:
> I see but how often does one need to run 'guix pull' to ensure they install
> the latest available packages. Running it now installs guix as explained in
> the manual but it doesn't explain how often one needs to run it.

It depends on your answer to the security / stability trade-off.

You can bet that any update of C software includes important bug fixes
(and other language "ecosystems" are probably not much better). Only a
few exploitable bugs are discovered by their authors or "named" with
CVEs.

Of course, each update brings new bugs, but hopefully it takes a little
while to find them and invent exploits.

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-18 16:22       ` Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2017-02-18 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: Help-Guix

On 10 February 2017 at 09:55, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:

> Niall Dooley (2017-02-09 22:36 +0100) wrote:
>
> > On 8 February 2017 at 21:51, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> What unicode symbols are not displayed correctly for you?  If I
> >> understood correctly, SCP is a font and you installed it with Guix,
> >> right?  What name does this (SCP) package have in Guix?
> >
> > Yes, sorry SCP := Source Code Pro, and yes I've installed it via Guix using
> > Guix package name font-adobe-source-code-pro. Examples of unicode
> > characters which were displaying correctly before but not now include:
> > U+232B, U+2326, U+23CE. Reading about this subject some more
> > these characters may not in fact be available in SCP but were rather supplied
> > by another available font.
>
> Yeah, I think these chars are not supported by this font.  Emacs
> displays U+232B and U+2326 with "Symbola" font for me, and U+23CE is
> unrecognized (Symbola and any other font I have do not support it).
>
> BTW Symbola package can't be a part of Guix due to a really stupid
> license problem.  If you are interested, I have a Guix package for this
> font here:
>
>   https://github.com/alezost/guix-config/blob/master/packages/fonts.scm

That would be great, can you explain how I can make use of your package?

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-18 20:16         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-02-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

Niall Dooley (2017-02-18 17:22 +0100) wrote:

> On 10 February 2017 at 09:55, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> BTW Symbola package can't be a part of Guix due to a really stupid
>> license problem.  If you are interested, I have a Guix package for this
>> font here:
>>
>>   https://github.com/alezost/guix-config/blob/master/packages/fonts.scm
>>

> That would be great, can you explain how I can make use of your package?

Along with the default Guix packages, you can use your own packages.
Basically, you can do it like this: at first, make some
"/path/to/my-guix-packages.scm" file with your packages, then add
"/path/to" directory to GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH environment variable.  Then
"guix" commands should find your packages automatically.

Also look at the manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Package-Modules.html#Package-Modules

--
Alex

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-19 11:37 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-02-19 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: Help-Guix

Niall Dooley <dooleyn@gmail.com> writes:

> I've installed Guix as a package manager on the Trisquel 7 distribution of
> GNU/Linux running on a (Minifree) Libreboot X60s. I believe it was
> successful. Hoping to transition to GuixSD at some point and would be
> grateful to hear if others have had success with this. Anyway,...

I’m using GuixSD on a X200s with Libreboot (flashed with the zerocat
chipflasher).  It’s working fine most of the time, but I’m experiencing
some weird behaviour that seems to be related to the version of
Libreboot I’m using (e.g. sometimes broken hotkeys).

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Package Installation Queries
@ 2017-02-19 11:39     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-02-19 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Carlo Zancanaro, Help-Guix

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I’ve been thinking we should have a way to hook importers and updaters
> directly to the command-line interface to facilitate this kind of
> experimentation.  Say:
>
>   guix package --importer=elpa -i something
>
> which would import ‘something’ and its dependencies on the fly.

This would be great!  For that to work reliably, though, we need to
improve the importers a little more.