all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Rovanion Luckey <rovanion.luckey@gmail.com>
To: Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>, rekado@elephly.net, mhw@netris.org
Subject: How is the LaTeX-related file psfonts.map installed on Guix?
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 17:03:18 +0200	[thread overview]

I'm trying to define a Guix environment that enables the following LaTeX
document to be compiled:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[swedish]{babel}
> \usepackage{url}
> \usepackage{color}
> \usepackage[colorlinks=true, linkcolor=blue, urlcolor=blue]{hyperref\
> }
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \usepackage{morefloats}
> \usepackage{sectsty}
> \usepackage{ifmtarg}
> \usepackage{pagenote}
>
> \makepagenote
> \let\footnote\pagenote
> \renewcommand*{\notedivision}{\section*{\notesname}}
> \renewcommand*{\pagenotesubhead}[2]{}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \title{\textsc{\Huge Curriculum Vitae\\[0.5cm]}}
> \newpage
>
> \setlength{\hoffset}{0pt}
>
> \printnotes
>
> \end{document}

It's a reduced version of the real document I'm writing. Right now I've
packaged a bunch of things that were missing like
texlive-generic-babel-swedish, texlive-morefloats, texlive-sectsty,
texlive-ifmtarg and texlive-pagenote for an environment that is started
with the following call:

$ ~/source/guix/main/pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc texlive-base
texlive-generic-babel-swedish texlive-url texlive-latex-hyperref
texlive-fonts-ec texlive-lm texlive-morefloats texlive-sectsty
texlive-pagenote

But I'm now stuck at the following error that pdflatex throws at me:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
> ec-lmr12
> gsftopk: fatal: map file `psfonts.map' not found.
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr12.
> mktexpk: perhaps ec-lmr12 is missing from the map file.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>  )
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ec-lmr12): Font ec-lmr12 at 600 not found
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I've looked at the Debian package and it looks to be provided by
texlive-base: https://packages.debian.org/buster/all/texlive-base/filelist.
The same folder path in Guix seems to be generated by the function
gnu/packages/tex.scm:texlive-union; but I have no idea how I would go about
having it generate the .map-file I want it to.

Does anyone happen to have any idea what to do here. I've spent a couple of
hours without getting anywhere, so any hints would be appreciated.