all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Status of GNOME?
@ 2021-11-22 13:37 Alex via
  2021-11-23 14:32 ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Alex via @ 2021-11-22 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello all.

For quite long time (little less than year) I'm using Guix System as VM guest. I noticed that GNOME is still on 3.34. I assume that cause is lack of man power instead of technical obstacles, considering that other non-systemd distributions (like Gentoo for example) are on 3.40?

My question is: how can I help? What is the path to become contributor? To ask for guidance and mentorship is probably to much to ask, but some general directives are more than welcome.

Thank you,
Alex

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Status of GNOME?
  2021-11-22 13:37 Status of GNOME? Alex via
@ 2021-11-23 14:32 ` zimoun
  2021-11-23 20:09   ` Luis Felipe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-11-23 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 15:27, Alex via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> For quite long time (little less than year) I'm using Guix System as VM guest. I noticed that GNOME is still on 3.34. I assume that cause is lack of man power instead of technical obstacles, considering that other non-systemd distributions (like Gentoo for example) are on 3.40?

New version is coming soon.  After the merge of core-updates-frozen. :-)

> My question is: how can I help? What is the path to become contributor? To ask for guidance and mentorship is probably to much to ask, but some general directives are more than welcome.

You can run:

  guix pull --branch=core-updates-frozen

and upgrade your system.  Report the failures.  Note that it is
possible that substitutes are missing; maybe check using "guix
weather" the availability if you cannot or do not want to burn CPU.
:-)


Hope that helps,
simon


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Status of GNOME?
  2021-11-23 14:32 ` zimoun
@ 2021-11-23 20:09   ` Luis Felipe
  2021-11-23 20:30     ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-11-23 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Alex, help-guix


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 671 bytes --]

Hi, zimoun :)

On Tuesday, November 23rd, 2021 at 2:32 PM, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
> 

> You can run:
> 

> guix pull --branch=core-updates-frozen
> 

> and upgrade your system. Report the failures. Note that it is
> 

> possible that substitutes are missing; maybe check using "guix
> 

> weather" the availability if you cannot or do not want to burn CPU.

Is there a way to see this information on the web (https://ci.guix.gnu.org/)? Say, substitute availability for packages in core-updates-frozen (x86_64-linux).

The machine I use is not capable of building much, and running "guix weather -s x86_64-linux" takes a lot of time.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-keys, Size: 1815 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 509 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Status of GNOME?
  2021-11-23 20:09   ` Luis Felipe
@ 2021-11-23 20:30     ` zimoun
  2021-11-23 22:32       ` Luis Felipe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-11-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help-guix, Alex

Hi Luis,

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 21:09, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to see this information on the web (https://ci.guix.gnu.org/)? Say, substitute availability for packages in core-updates-frozen (x86_64-linux).

An entry point is: <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/core-updates-frozen>.
Otherwise, try in search field: spec:core-updates-frozen
system:x86_64-linux julia-1.6.3 (replace julia-1.6.3 by your
interest).


> The machine I use is not capable of building much, and running "guix weather -s x86_64-linux" takes a lot of time.

Usually, I do not run "guix weather" alone but only for the package of
interest, say "guix weather emacs vim julia". If you are applying a
manifest discipline, then "guix weather -m manifest.scm".


Hope that helps,
simon


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Status of GNOME?
  2021-11-23 20:30     ` zimoun
@ 2021-11-23 22:32       ` Luis Felipe
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-11-23 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Alex, help-guix


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 966 bytes --]

On Tuesday, November 23rd, 2021 at 8:30 PM, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis,
> 

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 21:09, Luis Felipe luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com wrote:
> 

> > Is there a way to see this information on the web (https://ci.guix.gnu.org/)? Say, substitute availability for packages in core-updates-frozen (x86_64-linux).
> 

> An entry point is: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/core-updates-frozen.
> 

> Otherwise, try in search field: spec:core-updates-frozen
> 

> system:x86_64-linux julia-1.6.3 (replace julia-1.6.3 by your
> 

> interest).

Uh, I forgot the search box displays help on how to search once you focus it, thanks. 


The last build of gnome-desktop succeeded:

https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=spec%3Acore-updates-frozen+system%3Ax86_64-linux+gnome-desktop

And there seems to be 88% substitute availability for the packages in my profile. I think I'll give this branch a try.

Thanks,

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-keys, Size: 1815 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 509 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-23 22:33 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-11-22 13:37 Status of GNOME? Alex via
2021-11-23 14:32 ` zimoun
2021-11-23 20:09   ` Luis Felipe
2021-11-23 20:30     ` zimoun
2021-11-23 22:32       ` Luis Felipe

This is an external index of several public inboxes,
see mirroring instructions on how to clone and mirror
all data and code used by this external index.