all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Basic Linux Question]: Is it possible to have two init system?
@ 2017-01-23 16:55 rohit yadav
From: rohit yadav @ 2017-01-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

​Hi,

Is it possible to run two init processes? I believe not, but PID 1 (primary
init system) can start another PID 2 which could act secondary init system.
If this is possible and commonly employed then we can easily get all the
features of guixsd on a standard linux distribution. It will be really
useful for beginners who are frustrated by standard distro but do not have
time to learn the whole guix ecosystem at once before using it reliably.

Thanks,
Rohit​

* [Basic Linux Question]: Is it possible to have two init system?
@ 2017-01-23 17:27 rohit yadav
From: rohit yadav @ 2017-01-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

​Hi,

Is it possible to run two init processes? I believe not, but PID 1 (primary
init system) can start another PID 2 which could act secondary init system.
If this is possible and commonly employed then we can easily get all the
features of guixsd on a standard linux distribution. It will be really
useful for beginners who are frustrated by standard distro but do not have
time to learn the whole guix ecosystem at once before using it reliably.

Thanks,
Rohit​

* Re: [Basic Linux Question]: Is it possible to have two init system?
@ 2017-01-23 19:05 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2017-01-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

You could just install the guix package manager.  Some GNU/Linux distributions package GuixSD.  If yours doesn't then you could install from source.

@ 2017-01-24 18:09 ` David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2017-01-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rohit yadav; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Rohit,

> Is it possible to run two init processes?

No it is not.

> beginners who are frustrated by standard distro

Why are you frustrated with standard distro?

> easily get all the features of guixsd on a standard linux distribution.

You can run guix on a standard linux distro.

> It will be really useful for but do not have time to learn the whole guix ecosystem at once before using it reliably.

The init system is not something that end users interact with much.
The only thing you have to know is the herd command to start/stop
services but this is not something you should have to do manually most
of the time.

herd start SERVICENAME and I bet you can guess the other command...