Hi Ludo' , First of all thank you for putting the time for working on this, I hope we are close to a solution :) On 2/27/24 11:17, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > I think we’ll only want to support two layouts: Stow and “plain”; we > should avoid overengineering that. That’s why a simple (layout 'stow) > field seems good enough for me. > > WDYT? I think it is important, if the effort is feasible, to not leave anyone behind (in terms of what the features of this service are) . Having a single field without further changes will introduce some ambiguity imo. We have these requirements in my understanding: 1. The service should support Stow's users workflows. This is a hard requirement in my opinion. Hence we need a way to select a subset the applications directories (the applications field of home-dotfiles-stow-directory in v2 of the patch). 2. The service should support Stow's users workflows. This is also a hard requirement. For this we just need the path of the dotfiles directory. 3. The service should support multiple dotfiles directories. This is not a hard requirement i believe, but we currently have this feature (the directories field of home-dotfiles-configuration is a list of strings not a string). Introducing a single layout field makes it impossible to unambiguously implement requirement 1. If the user has more than directory it really makes no sense to select the same subset of applications for each one of them. This is to say that I believe it makes little sense to have multiple directories if the layout and applications information are not linked somehow with each directory. I wouldn't call this overengineering, just implementing the features users need from this service. I hope you agree. Also since I first sent this service around Jan 2023 (when it was still the home-stow-migration-service), and it has been broken on master for some time I'd like to provide a fix for this situation as soon as possible (clearly the definition of brokennes and what changes to the API would be breaking user configs depends on the requirements one intends for the home-dotfiles-service-type, especially since the changes that broke master were introduced without consensus). I'm changing the code to: use the layout field, support Stow's users workflow adding a new optional field called packages, which makes sense only if the layout is 'stow, and I'm making the directories field a string instead of a list of strings. Please let me know your thoughts on this v3. Thank your for your work, giacomo