all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Recursively propagate build-system 'arguments' to dependency packages?
@ 2017-02-07 15:15 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2017-02-07 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ericbavier; +Cc: help-guix

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@openmailbox.org> writes:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 21:09:33 +0000
> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Trying to define a package to be compiled by ghc-8, and I think all of
>> its dependencies must also be compiled by ghc-8 rather than ghc (which
>> is version 7).  This is easy to do with one package, e.g..:
>>
>> (define-module (my-packages myhaskell)
>>   #:use-module ((gnu packages haskell) #:prefix haskellmain:))
>>
>> (define-public ghc-hunit8
>>   (package
>>     (inherit haskellmain:ghc-hunit)
>>     (arguments `(#:haskell ,ghc-8))))
>>
>> To do that recursively for all the dependencies seems Too Difficult so,
>> is there a way to do something like --with-input=ghc=ghc-8 but with the
>> build-system arguments?  Perhaps doing the work in between the Bag and
>> the Derivation?
>
> You may take a look at the 'package-with-python2' procedure in
> guix/build-system/python.scm, which seems like it could be adapted to
> work with haskell/ghc packages.

Hi Eric, Myles,

it seems that the only Python specific part of
'package-with-explicit-python' is the keyword '#:python'. What do you
think of generalizing it by making it a function keyword argument and
move the procedure to its own module (maybe (guix build-system
utils)?).

Regards,
Fede