Hi, Christopher Rodriguez schreef op wo 19-01-2022 om 09:40 [-0500]: > Hey all, > > I've just been able to clone my authenticated personal repository for > the first time in a few weeks because I was confusing the `version` > field of `(authorizations …` to be a file version field as opposed to > the version of the API being used. > > For clarity, I'm working on a patch that will edit the section of the > manual to clearly specify that this is the API version (will submit > soon). It currently has a comment in the example source that reads > "current file format version", which lead me to this mistake. Nowhere > else in the text is the `version` field mentioned. > > However, as a Lisper, I feel as though the symbol itself could easily > be more descriptive by using `api-version` or something similar rather > than just a generic `version`. It would help prevent other newcomers > from going through the confusion I've just had. > > What do You think? 'version' does denote a file format version. Calling it an API version is somewhat inaccurate, because it is not a application _programming_ interface -- you can't write Scheme code in .guix-authorizations, only S-exps that match the file format. While it is the version of the file format, it is not the version of the file, which I believe is were the confusion came from? Also, changing 'version' to 'api-version' would probably prevent old versions of Guix (that only recognise 'version') from pulling new versions of Guix (that would have an 'api-version' in their .guix-authorizations) (untested). Greetings, Maxime.