zimoun schreef op vr 27-05-2022 om 13:39 [+0200]: > The only case is when 'read' fails.  Personally, I do not see how it > would be possible.  If you have a concrete example, then we can > examine. I don't have a 100%-concrete example, but wasn't there some file system crash mode, where the contents of a new file has not yet been written to disk yet the length of the file is > 0, so effectively the file points to an arbitrary range on the disk? E.g., say Guix told the FS write 1234 to last-expiry-cleanup. Then the FS created last-expiry- cleanup, choose a range of 4 bytes to save it as, then crashes before writing the contents. After restarting, the file contains the _old_ 4 bytes. These old 4 bytes could be the ASCII representation of "foo . Then, when 'read' is run (after rebooting), it sees an incomplete string "foo, so it fails. Greetings, Maxime.