On Sat, 2021-03-27 at 09:09 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote: > Hello Guix, > > Here's a proposed patch set that will henceforth enable us to freely > update ImageMagick (and dblatex, and gtk-doc) on our 'master' branch > without grafts. This is done by adding variables 'imagemagick/stable', > 'dblatex/stable', and 'gtk-doc/stable', which are then used as > 'native-inputs' in selected packages. > > The idea here is that the overwhelming majority of dependencies on > 'imagemagick' are via references to 'gtk-doc' in the 'native-inputs' of > GNOME libraries. The risk of running buggy imagemagick code within Guix > build containers is presumably quite limited, and in any case, grafting > is no better in this regard. This approach (& patches) look good to me. > [...] > Are there any comments or objections to this approach? What does ‘guix refresh --list-dependent imagemagick@6.9.11-48’ output now? If it there are many dependent packages, could some of them use imagemagick/stable, dblatex/stable or gtk-doc/stable as well? Maybe add a comment to imagemagick/stable on why there is a /stable variant, for future reference. Perhaps something along the lines of: ;; This is a variant of the 'imagemagick' package that is not ;; updated often. Where possible, use this variant instead of ;; the updated 'imagemagick' package to avoid large rebuilds ;; each time 'imagemagick' is updated (e.g. with security fixes), ;; unless this causes security issues. ;; ;; Normally the grafts mechanism would be used instead, but ;; imagemagick is a complicated package to graft. See ;; . > Mark > > Note: I haven't yet fully tested these commits. Note: I haven't tested your patches. Greetings, Maxime.