all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: jbranso@dismail.de
To: guix-devel@gnu.org, esr@thyrsus.com, rms@gnu.org,
	"Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Subject: Autodafe is "production" ready
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2024 19:02:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Hey Guix!

Have you heard about autodafe?  I just did today.

So it looks like autodafe (1) converts autotools into
simple makefiles. Quoting from it's hacker's guide (2):
"The proximate goal of this project is to eliminate autotools's
 piles of intermediate products and scripts that create a
jungle in which exploits like the xz crack of 2024 can hide.
 The wider goal is to abolish the festering complexity sink
that autotools recipes have become."  Sounds like a fairly cool
goal eh?

I know that guix has wanted to create a "guile based build
system" to replace autotools (autodafe is written in
python 3).  It sounds like Eric's work is moving to
supplant and/or fix or repace autotools.  Eric is there
anything Guix can do for you to help you with your goal?
We do love our guile, so we will probably encourage you
to use some scheme code.  :)

Richard do you have any advice for Eric in how to "fix or
replace" autotools?

Ludo, does guix need to do anything to get ready for some
software wanting to use autodafe  ?  Is there a way we
could use autodafe to help us get started on a guile based
build tool?

Thanks,

Joshua

1) https://www.phoronix.com/news/Autodafe-1.0-Released