Hi Reading (again) about somebody being bit by the pull-bull ;-) (below) Is there an overview of guix directories and symlinks? Anyone got any ideas of how to thoroughly test this pull-beast to make it less brittle and erroneous? Cheers swedebugia -------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: Re: guix pull fails while Migrating profile generations Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 20:33:54 +0100 From: Thorsten Wilms Reply-To: t_w_@freenet.de To: help-guix@gnu.org Hi! On Ubuntu, starting from "guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: ..." I manually removed/changed/created symlinks and had guix working again. A few `guix pull` and `sudo guix pull` later: --- ~: guix pull guile: warning: failed to install locale hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines: guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale" See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info. Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'... guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix" --- (glibc-utf8-locales is installed and GUIX_LOCPATH=/home/thorwil/.guix-profile/lib/locale is set, but that's another topic) Now: --- ~: readlink ~/.config/guix/current current-1-link --- current-1-link doesn't exist! I'm breathing manually now. I would appreciate an overview of what is supposed to sit where and where it is supposed to point to. I may have gotten something wrong ... but then again, guix working and failing again shortly after isn't exactly the outcome I'd expect in that case. Sidenote: I wanted to try pulling as root and then choosing the same commit as user, as recently suggested: --- ~: sudo guix describe (...) guix: describe: command not found --- Plain `guix describe` did work, until this linking business went wrong again. --- ~: sudo guix --version => 0.15.0-2.8bbb79c --- -- Thorsten Wilms thorwil's design for free software: http://thorwil.wordpress.com/