all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name>
To: 63972@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#63972: specifying a substitute server without adding its PGP key silently ignores it
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 13:55:59 +0000	[thread overview]

i've installed a new guix, and at the first `guix system reconfigure` i specified a substitute server using --substitute-urls for That Other Channel. i had to do this, because the config.scm that contains the substitute specification is yet to be applied.

it didn't work. it prints everything as usual, including the 100% message for that substitute server, but it starts to build packages locally for which substitutes are available. i haven't noticed any indication that there's a problem with any of the substitute servers.

once i've downloaded the .pub and i finally did the right incantation (sudo guix archive --authorize < signing-key.pub), then it started to download the substitutes as i expected.

i would much prefer a behavior where a "cryptyc" exception and backtrace is printed by a toplevel error handler. it has cost me about an hour of my life.

i'd suggest the following general strategy for the entire codebase in general:

throw exceptions, and let them fly all the way up to the toplevel error handler that should print it with a backtrace. this should be the baseline, and only then start adding very specific exception handlers to print friendly and localizable error messages for various situations, and only ever swallow exceptions when it's really justified. e.g. a file-not-found error in an ensure-file-deleted function.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39