Hi all, Ludovic Courtès writes: > Ricardo Wurmus skribis: > >> Ludovic Courtès writes: >> >>> Hello Guix, >>> >>> I’m not sure if this is a bug, but on Guix System, ‘sudo’ leaves PATH >>> unchanged: this also happens on foreign distros :-) [...] >> Yes, this is expected and desired behaviour. Sysadmins generally use >> “su -” or “sudo -i” to get a “proper” root login shell because of this. > > OK. > >>> However, it trips up many people. yes, and it was a subject of many help requests both here and help-guix in recent months (since I'm subscribed) [...] > … which doesn’t do what one might think before “sudo guix pull” updates > root’s ‘guix’ whereas “sudo guix system” uses the user’s ‘guix’. > > Either we should rephrase it or perhaps explicitly write: > > From then on, you can update GuixSD whenever you want by running: > > @example > guix pull > sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm > @end example IMHO it should be explicitly stated that in general it's not advised/needed to install guix for the root user and that "guix system" must be run as a normal user via sudo (and the user must be allowed to do so by root via sudoers); then the example above [...] Thanks! Giovanni -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures