all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#71139: herd unresponsive on new 1.4.0 install
@ 2024-05-23  5:28 Antero Mejr
From: Antero Mejr @ 2024-05-23  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 71139

On a new Guix 1.4.0 install, I logged in and ran `herd status` to check
if sshd was running. However, the command blocked indefinitely with no
output. When I cancelled that and tried to shut the machine down with
`halt`, it also blocked and did nothing. The system was not being
reconfigured at the time.

* bug#71139: herd unresponsive on new 1.4.0 install
@ 2024-05-23  9:35 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-23  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antero Mejr; +Cc: 71139

Hi,

Antero Mejr <mail@antr.me> skribis:

> On a new Guix 1.4.0 install, I logged in and ran `herd status` to check
> if sshd was running. However, the command blocked indefinitely with no
> output. When I cancelled that and tried to shut the machine down with
> `halt`, it also blocked and did nothing. The system was not being
> reconfigured at the time.

Could it be that your system clock changed drastically, for instance in
response to ntpd synchronization?  There’s a bug when that happens:

  https://github.com/wingo/fibers/issues/89

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#71139: herd unresponsive on new 1.4.0 install
@ 2024-05-24 18:36   ` Antero Mejr
From: Antero Mejr @ 2024-05-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 71139

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Could it be that your system clock changed drastically, for instance in
> response to ntpd synchronization?  There’s a bug when that happens:
>
>   https://github.com/wingo/fibers/issues/89

Yes I think that's it, since the machine was a server that hadn't done
an NTP sync before.

Perhaps we should consider using Fibers 1.1 for all architectures? This
problem occurred on a x86-64 machine. This issue reverted Fibers 1.3
just for ARM:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64966#6

Based on the Github discussion, it seems this bug isn't a priority for
the Fibers maintainers, and it has been an outstanding (and seemingly
common) issue for almost a year now.

* bug#71139: herd unresponsive on new 1.4.0 install
@ 2024-05-25 17:18     ` Richard Sent
From: Richard Sent @ 2024-05-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antero Mejr; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, 71139

> Perhaps we should consider using Fibers 1.1 for all architectures? This
> problem occurred on a x86-64 machine. This issue reverted Fibers 1.3
> just for ARM:
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64966#6

With https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70892#3 Fibers is also reverted to 1.1
on RISC-V 64.