all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ntpd and ssh-daemon
@ 2017-05-30  4:56 James Richardson
From: James Richardson @ 2017-05-30  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I just installed GuixSD on a laptop. When it boots it appears that
dbus-system and networking are slow to start up. It seems that ntpd and
ssh-daemon do not start because the the network isn't fully configured
yet.

Questions:

1. How can I turn on detailed logs?

2. Do others see this at all?

I am uncertain as to why the network is slow to start , perhaps my dhcp
server? The dhcp server and laptop are cabled into the same switch.

I'm not sure where to start debugging this...

--
James Richardson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ntpd and ssh-daemon
@ 2017-05-30 14:46 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-30 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Richardson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi James,

James Richardson <james@jamestechnotes.com> skribis:

> I just installed GuixSD on a laptop. When it boots it appears that
> dbus-system and networking are slow to start up. It seems that ntpd and
> ssh-daemon do not start because the the network isn't fully configured
> yet.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. How can I turn on detailed logs?

/var/log/shepherd.log and /var/log/messages may have more details.
Could you check?

> 2. Do others see this at all?

I don’t.

> I am uncertain as to why the network is slow to start , perhaps my dhcp
> server? The dhcp server and laptop are cabled into the same switch.

What networking service do you use: wicd, dhcp-client-service, something
else?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: ntpd and ssh-daemon
@ 2017-06-03 16:00   ` James Richardson
From: James Richardson @ 2017-06-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi James,
>
> James Richardson <james@jamestechnotes.com> skribis:
>
>> I just installed GuixSD on a laptop. When it boots it appears that
>> dbus-system and networking are slow to start up. It seems that ntpd and
>> ssh-daemon do not start because the the network isn't fully configured
>> yet.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. How can I turn on detailed logs?
>
> /var/log/shepherd.log and /var/log/messages may have more details.
> Could you check?
>
>> 2. Do others see this at all?
>
> I don’t.
>
>> I am uncertain as to why the network is slow to start , perhaps my dhcp
>> server? The dhcp server and laptop are cabled into the same switch.
>
> What networking service do you use: wicd, dhcp-client-service, something
> else?
dhcp-client-service.

There may be other issues with this box. I'll post more when I know
more.